Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with these bozos with that annoying glass shaking loud bass? It's not music that I can hear. .I don't hear any lyrics or other instruments. Just BOOM BOOM BOOM. It's usually the punks with those small whiz bang cars. It's discourtesy in my book. Driving thru a residential area even in the middle of the night. My wife has medical problems and sometimes takes a nap. Then these clowns, usually speeding also, come flying thru. and wake up the dead. Worse if your sleeping at night. What do they get out of it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
What gets me is that outside of their cars it rattles like all their screws are loose.....wait a minute, they are.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Pssshhh. It's been a thing since around the 90's. My buddies and I used to call them "Oakley cars" because they always, always, ALWAYS had super-dark tinted windows with an "Oakley" brand sticker somewhere on the front and/or rear windshield of the car.

What cracks me up nowadays is when I have this predetermined image of what the car's going to look like when I hear the "BOOOOOM, BUH-BOOOOOM" noise from afar, and I expect it to be some lowrider or some crappy lowered Honda with tint and all that and a teenager behind the wheel ... and, as it gets closer, I hear the rest of the music is some carnival-like "banda" music and it's some Mexican dude in his 40's driving a beat-up old Chevy or Ford pickup. Preconceived notions are funny that way sometimes. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the music's too loud, you're too old. :sneaky:

In all seriousness I think the actual mentality is a combination of being ignorant about what makes music actually sound good (hint: just making it louder doesn't do that) and the same kind of juvenile posturing that underlies certain parts of our culture - appearance is more valuable than quality. I'm looking at you, gucci Glocks.

That said, if I felt compelled to spend three grand on an audio system for my vehicle you can guaran-damn-tee it'd be capable of ear splitting volume. I'd just actually know how to take advantage of that headroom.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The OP's statements are along the same ones I heard from the parents and grandparents back in the 70's. Different generation, different music and same rebellious in your face sound volume. Some things never change.

And us oldsters still think their music SUCKS. I'm good with that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Like my avatar shows, I'm an old deadhead and I listen to most kinds of music in my car. I'm not above listening to Sublime thump. But when it makes your car rattle on the outside, there is something wrong with your installation and doesn't impress anyone.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm 73 and used to crank up the Stones etc back in the day and of course the "older" generation didn't like it but it was not as near disturbing as this krap. I often fantasize about giving up a nights sleep to lie in wait between my house and the stockade fence next to me and putting a few dents in their cars with my pellet rifle as they blow by. With all that racket they would probably not notice it till the next day. I can see them scratching their heads now. LOL.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
best part of the pellet rifle ambush is they can’t hear it when you hit the car...
I may or may not have had experience with this in the past...

generally I think this behavior is the “hey look at me” thing.

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
A musician friend of mine says, "If you can't play well, play loud."

Reactions: fez and FLT

·
Registered
845 Posts
It seems to make the people that listen to it stupid, perhaps it rattles brain cells loose and that’s the cause of the rapid decline in intelligence in folks that play it that loud . The stillness of the night must amplify the results ,as the ones that play it late at night are by far the least intelligent .

Reactions: fez

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This goes to what I feel has escalated in our society. Discourtesy and lack of respect. I haven't forgotten that i was a teenage punk myself and committed some of this but not to the degree I see today. My behavior was regulated fairly quickly and sternly. I corrected myself accordingly.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more things change the more they stay the same. (John Baptiste Alfonse Karr).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, in the '60s we did some rather barbaric things, we were just very much more discreet. We didn't like the attention. I guess sneakier is smarter?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I am guilty. The first thing in a car for me is to fix the crap sound system.
the problem is that with proper bass and normal installation, its going to carry the bass outside the car. It can't be avoided: modern cars are made of tinfoil and thin plastic for 'doors' with X of steel to help against accidents but it can't dampen the sound. Mine isnt even a full on ghetto build; but you can hear and feel it from one car over if the music has drums in it, and mine usually does. I don't ask for a lot from life, but if I am going to be stuck behind slowpokes, I am going to have music, and I want to feel the drums. Its not a lot louder than it would be if you had the actual drum inside the car, mind you, but its more than the headphone speakers they stuff into them at the dealer.

The treble is set up right too, but it does not carry. Low frequency sound carries, high is blocked easily.

To put it another way, if you were on the beach 10 feet from someone else's boom box, and all you had between you was a tarp, you would hear it, right? And if it had real bass speakers, you would feel it it a little too, if it were at normal volume. That is where it starts, and then some guys carry it to obnoxious extremes. Honestly there seems to be less of that than back in the day; I can't recall the last time a REALLY loud one went by.

Its probably a little rude. Every driver I encounter is a little rude, though. People that won't get out of the way, that stop to turn before getting in the turn lane, won't roll when the light turns, blunder out into your lane at 10 mph to turn onto your road, it goes on and on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
A few years back one of the mobile filling rattlers pulled up next to to me at a stop light. Ridiculously loud, looked over and the kid had ear plugs in🤪. Must’ve really been into it;)

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
This pretty much sums it up.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jonin what you are describing does not sound like that outrageous noise I'm talking about. When I'm outside and hear loud "music" it sounds pretty much like when I turn mine up. Inside my house it hardly carries. This deafening, glass ratting, vibration noise is different. Loud music does not make me jump out of my skin. There is a stereo shop in town with the ad "If your glass ain't shaken you've been taken". That's different then loud music.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts