loosing brass

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sniper7369, Dec 31, 2008.

1. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    OK, so it's not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying. The P3AT and P32 spit the brass up and back over your shoulder. It makes using my brass catcher impossible and finding the brass to reload it is sometimes difficult. Has anybody tried modding the ejector to get it to throw the brass more to the side?

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Consider yourself lucky (kinda)! Brass from my P3ATs fly all over the place! Maybe mostly back like your brass but I'll also find some of it to the right, left, front and at my feet after dropping on my head. An advantage I have is that I shoot in my own back yard range and will often find the .380 brass while passing through my range in the course of other activities. BTW, I collect the brass which my brother reloads for me so it is worth the extra effort to find as much of the brass I can without going out and buying a metal detector.

Really would be nice to have a modded ejector like you mention - ejecting in one direction and about the same distance.

Take care...

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Characteristically, these things fling brass into orbit. If you are "home on the range", try spreading a tarp. Otherwise, you could call KT when they reopen next week, get a couple of ejectors and experiment with them, but good luck with that. It's probably been tried but I have never seen anyone report success with controlling ejection in these pistols.

4. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Comming back down. Don't know for sure HOW high it went.

[​IMG]

Put a catcher's mitt on your left hand.

;)

OR set up a screen tent to shoot in.

:D

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Maybe it hit a migrating bird ;)

But there's an idea ... one of those spring folding windshield shades hung right and back might deflect the shells down or one of those pop-up reflectors the photo guys use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Go gangsta and fire it upside down, brass will land at your feet.

7. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    [​IMG]

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Since we shoot out on the woods, in all weather, we love this:

[​IMG]

Put a tarp on the ground, set up a table and a few chairs inside, maybe even a propane heater, and you are good to go and easily keep even P3AT brass! Obviously you keep the front where the zipper is completely open. And I usually keep the back draping down over the bed of the truck or the back doors of the van.

-Scott

9. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Time for a beach or tractor umbrella over the firing point?
    Bounce it right back down your shirt collar where you can find it real easy, & quick too!

How about shooting out the truck window?
    All the brass will be in your defroster vent duck-work, or stuck in the headliner, where it won't ever get lost again!

I like adamsesq's bug-tent idea too!

rcmodel

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

11. I usually ask my friend in the next Parish (County) south of my range to pick up my brass from his front yard!

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Train your dog to retreive the brass? :) This is only half said in jest as I seem to remember hearing about a fellow, was many years ago, that had a dog that was able to find his arrows when he missed a target at archery 3D shoots.

Take care...

13. Deuce3

Deuce3 Member

May 6, 2008
    +1 We started spreading out several tarps and typically recover all our brass from a variety of firearms. My P11 is the worst because it slings them all over. 380's from my Colt and my friend's Walther tend to be hard to find also. I don't reload, but get a brass credit towards ammo from Georgia Arms, so the tarp thing is saving me $.
    Deuce

14. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I guess that I am as frustrated as anyone with finding brass from my P3AT. It throws it EVERYWHERE and amazing distances. As nearly as I can ascertain, about 1/3 goes directly backwards about 35 feet and the rest is evenly distributed in a half oval around the shooter. The plastic tent is the only solution that seems workable.

15. rpm

rpm New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I, too, was stunned while collecting my brass this weekend to follow a trail that started beside me on the bench and went back almost 20 feet to my car parked behind me. I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time searching for the missing 20% of my brass.

Since my range has nice fishnet between lanes and a tin roof over the benches I have to assume it went smartly past my earmuffs. I thought it was just feedback in the new electronic muffs ;)

16. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Haha, yeah, we have a tin roof over about 2/3 of our firing line too. My P3AT spits the brass up hard enough that it sound like someone is throwing stones at the tin every time I pull the trigger. Kind of startled me the first time I shot it there. ;D If I shoot where there is no over head cover the brass goes all the way into the bushes behind the firing line. :(
    I just may have to go with the screen tent idea or maybe add a top panel to my brass catcher to deflect the brass down or something.

17. rpm

rpm New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I am thinking of using Murphy's law constructively. I will have my wife wear a low cut blouse and i will wear flip-flops. That way the brass will either go down her shirt or land between my toes.

18. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    ;D Haha, glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. ;D

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

And for the record, I don't care about pics of flip flops...  ;D

-Scott