Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I have owned a kel tec sub 2000 gen 2 with glock mags, for a little less then a month now. Since then I've put 300 to 400 rounds through it with no mis fires. I put about 50 rounds of IMI systems ammo through it today which is apparently hotter then normal 9mm.

Today as i was returning from the range and taking my gun out of my bag i heard a faint rattling noise coming from the barrel. After locating the source of the rattling I found it was a washer between the rear sight and the barrel (its part 105 of the exploded view of the schematic for a point of reference). Its only slightly loose, no matter how much I spin it in either direction it neither loosens further or tighten. Is this something to be concerned about or is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks for the feedback. in an update since posting, if the barrel is flipped forward into place while the bolt is completely removed, it seems to grab the washer much more tightly. Once the bolt it fully re inserted and the barrel is pulled into place agian it becomes loose.
In experimenting so far, if the barrel is flipped forwoard into place while the charging handle is locked back it seems to remian tighter. Its still unknown if it would retain this state if rounds where going through it.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Looking at the manual it looks like part 403 (locknut) has backed off or the barrel is loosening in the part 102 (hinge).

I haven't had a plastic Subbie since '08 but that's my best guess looking at the diagram. If 403 doesn't tighten up my next step would be a call to KT service.

It kinda sounds like the barrel moving a bit front to rear & that would not be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In looking things over I think RAT76 completely nailed it. Could you fix it yourself? Maybe. Would I? No. Let KelTec fix it, then it's on them. Do it yourself and it could void the warranty putting it completely on you.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
If it's like the Gen1 the barrel is molded into the plastic hinge block. I'd not take a chance. A call to Kel Tec about the loose barrel on your new Sub2000 should get prompt attention & a pre paid shipping label.

Good lord! The next round down range could be accompanied by your barrel assembly. :eek:

Full disclosure, I have sent a High Point clamp on muzzle device down range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In an update of this forum if anyone ever finds this forum with the same problem. I sent the gun into kel tec and they tightened something. The washer is no longer loose in any position. It neither rattle or spins at all. I wish they had told me exactly what they did so I would know for the future. In more interesting news they also straightened my front sight post which was slightly crooked when i got the gun. I think they replaced the barrel shroud but im not 100 percent sure about that. Surprisingly they replaced the rear peep sight with one with a bigger hole which was cool cause I hated the stock rear peep.

·
Grand Poobah
1,420 Posts
In an update of this forum if anyone ever finds this forum with the same problem. I sent the gun into kel tec and they tightened something. The washer is no longer loose in any position. It neither rattle or spins at all. I wish they had told me exactly what they did so I would know for the future. In more interesting news they also straightened my front sight post which was slightly crooked when i got the gun. I think they replaced the barrel shroud but im not 100 percent sure about that. Surprisingly they replaced the rear peep sight with one with a bigger hole which was cool cause I hated the stock rear peep.
It's possible they replaced the entire front half of the rifle as an assembly. If there was something structurally wrong with the barrel block, they probably did replace the whole front half. The times I have sent a gun in for repair, there was a work order enclosed saying what was done. I'm glad you're happy, and I hope it shoots well.

buzzsaw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts