Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is odd. My barrel isn't loose at all, nor is the barrel nut itself... However, the square barrel nut washer (#104) has a slight amount of back and forth play in it when the barrel is open. If it's locked in place it gets rid of the half millimeter or so of movement. Before I crank this down so it's tight even when open I wanted to make sure this isn't intentional and meant to compress when you lock the barrel closed. Any thoughts? I gave the barrel quite a hard turn and nothing moved.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
First, DON'T GIVE THE BARREL QUITE A HARD TURN! Next, the barrel nut only sets the tension for the trigger guard lock up. The factory hand guard tightens up over the slot in the barrel nut to hold it's tension, so normally it will be no more than a strong finger tight. As long as the trigger guard is locking back in place just as the barrel seats you should be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me I did a lot of reading before posting but couldn't find anything specific about the barrel lock nut washer. And I tried turning it in the direction of tightening. Everything on it is very tight, just that tiny amount of play in the washer itself. As far as when it locks closed, as long as I'm doing it with some speed and not trying to ever so gently push it shut it snaps right into place. The gun is only a week old or so and hasn't even been shot yet so I'm guessing that's simply due to break in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing just happened to mine. Any ideas/fixes? Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have the KT rails on mine. Only about 200 9mm rnds through it. I don't think it's supposed to be this way.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
Everything is perfectly normal. There is a coned "belleville" washer in there that holds everything in place once the barrel nut is set to the proper tension. Just make sure when you re-install the forearm that the circle on the back is in the slot on the barrel nut.

Tao, since you have the quad rail forearm on yours, you may need to periodically re-tighten the barrel nut. I'm not all that positive the quad rail retention system is as good as the factory forearm's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the same guys and like 3wbdriver says leave the nut alone. In my case if tighten the nut I can see that my trigger guard lock won't fully reset. It is an adjustment for that only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts