Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my guns are 9mm, so I figured getting a suppressor that will work well for all of them would be ideal. Will the barrel length of the S2K over my handguns make a big difference in suppression? Or is it more about the round? I'm not overly concerned with looks, though I think the tube looking suppressors look better, but for something like this I am highly function over fashion (at the right price).

How would a suppressor affect the S2K with its blow back design? I don't know much about suppressor in general either besides they sorry if work like my motorcycle mufflers with baffles. Unless I go with the OSS, which would be awesome, but far too expensive.

Does ammo really matter? I know subsonic is best for noise , but would shooting factory loads cause damage?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can search

EP, the nutn'fancy crew that ran the tests on the Gen 2 were using an Osprey. They didn't show any difficulties with that can.
One design feature of the Osprey allows its use on a pistol without the installation of suppressor (taller) sights.
No personal experience with my subbie (but I'm lookin' also) :eek:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The longer barrel will make some rounds more likely to go super sonic and be noisier down range. Hotter loading will cause more noise at the breech because of the quicker opening of the bolt. Ballistics and performance are the same, no matter if hand loaded or factory loaded to the same parameters.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Silencerco Osprey would be my recommendation. Blowback designs generally work well with suppressors. As for ammo, you will just need to experiment with a few different types to see what works best. You won't damage anything, it't just that some ammo is dirtier than others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everything I've heard regarding supressing blowback designs is that the port noise renders the suppressor less effective. Much less noise reduction than on a locked-breech gun. I would try some 147 grain subs for best results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suppressors are a great addition. However, there are many pieces of the puzzle to consider.
1) Concentric threaded barrel. If it's a Gen-2, probably not too much to worry about. A Gen-1 will need to be threaded by a competent machinist/gunsmith.
2) Suppressor model/brand. Most modern offerings are effective for the caliber specified. Where they start to outshine each other is in modularity, multi-caliber use and effectiveness, ease of maintenance, weight, and longevity.
3) Suppressor mounts. A "pistol" suppressor vs a "carbine" suppressor doesn't really mean anything except for how it mounts to the gun. Many semi-auto pistols (but not all) won't function reliably with a suppressor unless the suppressor has recoil-boosting device (sometimes called a Nielsen device) to assist. Consider the weight of the suppressor, hanging off the barrel, plus the fact that those internal baffles are acting like sails on a boat, pushing away from the shooter when they catch the muzzle blast. It all acts to counter the normal operation, so a recoil booster is needed to cancel it out. This spring assembly is fine for those pistols that need it, but if you mount that same setup on a fixed barrel, you'd be punishing the end of the rifle with every shot, hence the desirability for swapping out a fixed barrel spacer for the spring, or a completely new mount. If the suppressor can't adapt, then the use will be limited.
4) Ammunition stability. What you care about for suppressor use is that the bullet is spiraling nicely when it exits the barrel. No tumbling, or slow wobble. These things might cause the bullet to impact the suppressor (a "baffle strike") which on the one hand might just affect accuracy a bit, and on the worst case it would cause the bullet to careen off angle and blow another hole in the side of the suppressor. Before you shoot ANY new ammo through a suppressor (reloads OR factory), paper test it. Shoot it at a paper target as close to the gun as possible. If you have anything but clean holes punched, do NOT shoot that ammo/barrel combo with a suppressor. I've seen factory subsonic ammo boat tail on a target five feet away with the wrong twist-rate barrel.
5) Method of purchase. You can buy the suppressor as an individual, with a trust, or with an LLC/business. There are pros/cons to each. More than enough explanations elsewhere.
6) What will you want to use the suppressor for? This answer will help you prioritize the plethora of available options.

Personally, I've had great experiences with a Silencerco Octane 9 HD. Quiet. No noticeable "first round pop" (FRP), stainless steel baffles for ease of cleaning, and the unique baffle geometry (CTA) keeps the inner surface of the main tube build-up Free. Very modular assortment of mounts. Stable, well-known company with outstanding customer service in the rare instance you need it.

As for performance of a Gen-1 Sub-2000 in 9mm with a suppressor? Works great. Sounds great. Find good ammo that cycles well, and have fun.

:)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Everything I've heard regarding supressing blowback designs is that the port noise renders the suppressor less effective. Much less noise reduction than on a locked-breech gun. I would try some 147 grain subs for best results.
Not limited to blowback designs, any semi-auto will give that--you get the clack-clack mechanical noise of the action cycling. The subsonic loads won't change that, unless they're too lame to cycle the action.

The action cycling noise isn't that big a deal. It sounds loud to the shooter, because it's eight inches from his ear, but for anyone ahead of the muzzle, the suppressed report will be much louder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey snake, thanks for all the input. I will be using it in a S2K gen 2 and a glock.
You're very welcome. With that firearm combo, I can say from first hand experience: an Octane 9 HD will serve you well.

It will also be useful for everything from 22LR up to subsonic .300 Blackout...

If you're purchasing a suppressor, do it soon if you want to avoid some hassle extra paperwork that goes into effect July 13, 2016.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're very welcome. With that firearm combo, I can say from first hand experience: an Octane 9 HD will serve you well.

It will also be useful for everything from 22LR up to subsonic .300 Blackout...

If you're purchasing a suppressor, do it soon if you want to avoid some hassle extra paperwork that goes into effect July 13, 2016.

Best of luck!
I was told to wait until after July 13 to get mine. In Philadelphia you'd have to get the police commissioner to sign off on the suppressor form, which he refuses to do. After July 13 there may be more paperwork, but you won't need the sign off, as far as I understand.
Does this sound about right?

What extra, as an individual, would I have to do? I thought it is still form 4, fingerprints, and passport photos. If i have the availability to get electronic fingerprint card printed by the local police department could that work? Or do I need ink prints on a specific card? Could I get a few cards and photos done at once and save them for future purchases?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was told to wait until after July 13 to get mine. In Philadelphia you'd have to get the police commissioner to sign off on the suppressor form, which he refuses to do. After July 13 there may be more paperwork, but you won't need the sign off, as far as I understand.

What extra, as an individual, would I have to do? I thought it is still form 4, fingerprints, and passport photos. If i have the availability to get electronic fingerprint card printed by the local police department could that work? Or do I need ink prints on a specific card? Could I get a few cards and photos done at once and save them for future purchases?
Sounds like the police commissioner in Philadelphia is a piece of feces.

Yeah, if you want to buy it as an individual, and your local LEO chief is a backwards-thinking self-centered mouth-breather, than yeah: wait until that particular requirement is lifted after 13 July. Then they still have to be notified, but their "permission" will no longer be required.

Still a Form-4. No longer e-file. I don't know about the fingerprint card thing.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
edit: How do you delete posts?
Click on edit on your post. The next screen should have a button at the lower right marked Delete. If not, you can't. If it is there, click it and follow the instructions on the next screen.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

What extra, as an individual, would I have to do? I thought it is still form 4, fingerprints, and passport photos.
Most of us set up a trust, which eliminates much of the hassle and allows us to put other members on or off of the trust, and makes it much easier to pass the suppressor to an heir. After July, it will be more difficult to enact the trust.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of us set up a trust, which eliminates much of the hassle and allows us to put other members on or off of the trust, and makes it much easier to pass the suppressor to an heir. After July, it will be more difficult to enact the trust.
Ah OK. I don't really want to go through the trust process. I only have maybe two people who would even want to do it and one isn't going to be in the US for a couple years anyway. I don't mind doing the individual work as it is fairly easy to get find in philly. I can get the photos and fingerprint cards done at the same image around here.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Ah OK. I don't really want to go through the trust process. I only have maybe two people who would even want to do it and one isn't going to be in the US for a couple years anyway. I don't mind doing the individual work as it is fairly easy to get find in philly. I can get the photos and fingerprint cards done at the same image around here.
You do realize that without a trust, there can be some real problems for your heirs, and no one can use your can unless you are present. Period.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You do realize that without a trust, there can be some real problems for your heirs, and no one can use your can unless you are present. Period.
It's something I'm willing to look into in the future, but at this time I'd rather save that $200 to use towards the suppressor. I don't go shooting with people or even really know anyone who is interested in NFA items.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.