Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20A4CFA2-8C4C-4796-B3C5-EAADF6ED030B.jpeg
89FC169D-9AD2-43B1-B533-737F4AF4B058.jpeg
So I just got this used PF9 at an absolute steal the other day and I was super stoked. It’s OD green, and fits perfectly in my hand for the level of concealment I’m looking for. Anyways after having a lot of malfunctions of the same kind I came here. Read some old threads and did everything you guys said. 1) I hit the 500 round count *ouch* 2) I switched up ammo grain sizes. 115FMJ. 148 hollows etc
3) I didn’t limp wrist (frankly I’ve never had that problem) 4) to make sure it wasn’t just me I had someone different try it. And still constant failure to feed/failure to eject with almost any type of ammo I’ve used (yes both fun and hollows) What do you guys think I should do. I love this gun and I really want it to work.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
So the malfunctions are a failure to extract?

It that's the case then the problem likely with the extractor.

• Visually check the extractor claw to make sure it's not chipped, beveled, or worn.
  • You might need to replace the extractor even if it looks undamaged.
  • Some owners have fixed failure to extract problems by replacing the extractor spring (order the part from KT)
  • Some owners have fixed failure to extract problems by DOUBLING the extractor spring. Order the spring from KT, leave the existing spring in place, and place the new spring on top of the old one.
  • Check the chamber for burrs or chatter marks which might increase friction during extraction.
  • Some owners have (very very carefully) polished the chamber walls to reduce extraction friction.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Don't know how old yours is, but mine was purchased new in around 2012. I had nothing but extraction issues with it constantly at the onset. A couple of years ago, I put a new extractor and spring on it which solved my issue. On closer inspection, I noticed that the tip of the new extractor was shaped differently than my original one.

Not saying that this is your problem...just that it fixed mine.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
Yep, order a new extractor and spring. Someone should chime in and tell you what torx head driver fits, I forget.

Generally, stick with FMJ ammo until you get it working reliably. 115 grain is probably best for this and you may need to try multiple, good quality, brass cased brands. Hopefully, the new extractor and spring will get it running right. Once it is, you can start trying some JHP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely think the extractor is the problem. I decided to take it back to the store where a I bought it. The owner is having a gunsmith work on it free of charge. I’ll update you all as soon as I hear back. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 44428 View attachment 44430 So I just got this used PF9 at an absolute steal the other day and I was super stoked. It’s OD green, and fits perfectly in my hand for the level of concealment I’m looking for. Anyways after having a lot of malfunctions of the same kind I came here. Read some old threads and did everything you guys said. 1) I hit the 500 round count *ouch* 2) I switched up ammo grain sizes. 115FMJ. 148 hollows etc
3) I didn’t limp wrist (frankly I’ve never had that problem) 4) to make sure it wasn’t just me I had someone different try it. And still constant failure to feed/failure to eject with almost any type of ammo I’ve used (yes both fun and hollows) What do you guys think I should do. I love this gun and I really want it to work.
My PF9 extractor was "peening" the barrel. Dremelled clearance. Ended extractor problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe its a T-10 torx head. I see that you have the old extractor spring. The newer ones go all the way to the front of the extractor. I would just polish the feed ramp and replace spring and extractor and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or dear pf9er brother, do as I did and send to Master GunSmiths at Keltec. They polished, Dremeled, and set up like proVille . Hasn’t missed a lick in 6 years. They only charged for part and postage. Wow!

·
Grand Poobah
1,366 Posts
I have two, and started having this very problem with the one I carry the most. I called Kel-Tec for removal instructions and to get a hard chrome extractor and spring, since it wasn't listed on their site. My plan was to clean under the extractor, because crud buildup can cause this, and I consider this user maintenance. They suggested that I send them in, since there have been several updates, and they would go over them and fix and upgrade anything that needed it. IIRC, mine also have the old extractor spring. They emailed that they are finished and that I would get another email when they were ready to ship. It's been a few days, and no shipping email. Maybe they are testing them before shipping.

I'm not in a big hurry and I hope my results will be like keledtec's. :)

buzzsaw

·
Grand Poobah
1,366 Posts
I never did get the shipping email when Kel-Tec shipped my guns back, but my LGS called me and said they were in on Friday. Turnaround was less than two weeks. They changed out the extractor, spring and screw, updated the firing pin, replaced the trigger axis and spring and polished the feed ramp on the hard chrome one. Apparently, they don't have hard chrome extractor springs anymore, as it is now black. It actually looks nice that way. My other gun was blued, and was very early production, in the first 100 to be sold to the public. Although mine had been reliable, the early guns were likely to develop various issues, and I wasn't extremely confident in it as a carry gun. It did tend to randomly drop magazines during firing, but I had fixed that, myself. This one ended up with an "A" added to its serial number, since they replaced the frame. It looks like the only parts that weren't replaced were the Northwood trigger, and possibly the polymer grip. Unfortunately, they didn't get my irreplaceable aftermarket tritium night sights off the original slide for me. However, I expect that I will have no reservations about carrying it now.

The slides felt nice and smooth, like they were on bearings, despite the one gun being "new" again. Both triggers were also smooth.

I got them to the range Sunday, and had no failures of any kind. They both went bang every time, with several different brands of ammo, including my carry load, Remington Golden Saber 124 gr, standard pressure. The bullets in that load are a fairly old design, but they have always been reliable and accurate in my P11, and were thus a logical choice for these guns. I wasn't real happy with my accuracy, and need to get more range time with them.

I am quite happy with the service, and expect these guns to be everything they are supposed to be. I'm glad to get them back in time for cooler weather. I had been carrying a P-32 or a Beretta Cheetah, but the Cheetahs are a bit harder to conceal than the PF-9s, and is a .380 (or a .32) vs. a 9 mm. From Halloween to Epiphany, I make a point to carry as much as possible, since it seems like the freaks come out during the holidays.

buzzsaw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts