Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a lightweight scope that will still get the rfb out to its potential and not wreck my bank account. The Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 looks promising at 13oz and $450-500. Any suggestions? What are y'all using? Need to keep it fairly light b/c I only can use one arm.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have a mark4 MRT in 1.5-5, but it is kinda heavy(hell of a piece of glass though:)). The VX3i in 1.5-5 is only 9 OZ. I have a bolt gun if I want any more precision than the RFB can give me with the 1.5-5...

·
Registered
264 Posts
frogman, I'm seeing the vx3i 4.5-14 in a couple of locations with weights from 13oz. to over 20oz. It looks like maybe two models or generations of the same scope. I wonder how Leupold dropped nearly a half pound off basically the same scope. I'm not claiming they're giving false data. I'm just amazed they could drop that much weight without sacrificing something. Impressive.

frogman, I'm not saying the RFB can't benefit from a 4.5-14 scope, but to me a 3-9 or so is about all it needs due to a general lack of precision inherent in the rifle...unless perhaps we're talking about the 24" Hunter model. I think I'd be tempted to save some cash and go with the slightly lighter vx31 3.5-10 version if staying with Leupold. I love my RFB, but I don't consider it to be a very precision platform in the 18" version and therefore not requiring higher power magnification. Still, some of these decisions are personal and preferential, and you certainly won't hurt the RFB with the higher power optic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. TNC I saw the same discrepancies in weight and wondered the same thing. I'm not stuck on leupold but I figured if a 3-9 weighed the same as a 4.5-14 why not give it a try. I just got the rifle and slapped an eotech on it from my ar, it is a 'blast' to shoot. I'd also agree bolt rifles are more accurate, but the whole one arm thing is why I got the rfb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My buddy has a few RedFields that are extremely light. (almost nothing...) Also they have a lifetime replacement warranty. Ive shot through his before, its not a bad scope for the price.

https://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Ill probably try one of these as my next optic. I usually stick with Nikon (not lightweight) or Vortex recently. Ive owned a Leopold... They are overpriced IMO. Think about philosophy of use. Are you really looking for extreme precision at 1000 yards? If not... Dont overspend. The cheaper vortex i have on my RFB shoots great! Its a diamondback 3.5x-10x50. Best part is it was only 150. Couldnt be happier for 150$...

Edit: I just learned Redfield is owned by Leopold. Interesting. I wonder if it is the same quality glass for a fraction of the price...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.