Looking for info on the Metal Mag Catch

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by David_S, Dec 25, 2009.

1. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Did a search and everything that came up linking to the mag catch in the trading post gave me an error 300 : .txt No such file or directory . Am I missing something. I'm interested in price availability etc. I don't need one yet but when the gun was new the mag didn't want to stay in at first so I figure it's just a matter of time. If I'm gonna replace it I may as well replace it with a better part right?

Thanks,

DS

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    same for me too, I see the post in the search, but I get the error when I try to open

post=1233403790

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There is currently no one making/selling metal mag catches for the P3s..  The thread (file) was corrupted in the last thread where someone was selling them so it is not there.  I just checked with him last week and he is too busy to make them.  He may make some more when time permits.  I guess he will repost in the TP at that time.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thnks... I guess I missed that memo ;)

Merry Chirstmas

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It's been a few months since any were available. Crank up your CNC gear. :-?
    I'm sure you could sell a few each month.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I don't know if you saw, but it looked like KT ejectors are now molded metal. that would be more cost effective than CNC

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I figured ejectors and such simple relatively flat parts were stamped.

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Kel-Tec should be making the P3AT with a MIMed mag catch. I simply can't imagine a MIMed catch adding much to the cost of the gun. Might even pay for itself by Kel-Tec having a more reliable gun and not having to ship out so many replacement catches. I'm one of those guys who has had to replace a mag catch - that was not abused in any way. I was able to buy a metal catch ( 2 years ago) when they were being offered here. Got the metal catch on my carry P3AT and the factory catch on my practice P3AT.

Take care...

9. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    To whom it may concern; Please make more metal mag catches. And thank you for making them in the first place.

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My LCP like my P3AT also has a plastic mag catch. It is one of the first produced which also came with the stainless steel barrel. The post-recall LCPs come with a blued barrel and a metal mag catch. Unlike KT which will give you any "upgrades" for free, Ruger wants $8.50 for the new metal mag catch. I pled with the Ruger CS that they should send me the metal upgrade but compant policy is, if you want the upgrade, you gotta pay for it! >:(

A look at an exploded view of both guns shows that the mag catches (like the rest of the dang guns!) are identical. It is highly likely that with a little fitting, the new Ruger metal mag catch will most likely fit the P3AT perfectly.

The P11, P3AT, and P32 have been in production for years longer than the PF-9. I admit that I just don't understand why they went to the metal mag catch in the PF-9 but not in the rest of their handguns. I would think that a switch would have already been made. Apparently, their our not as many failures of these plastic mag catches as many people think there are.

11. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Rev,

This is probably the subject of another thread but what made you decide to own both the lcp and p3at? Which do you like better?

and just in case I don't post again before the big game: Go Longhorns!

12. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the LCP first. It's a first generation including the recall.

It never was real reliable. I had to do a P3AT F&B on it to get it to 90%. Finally 18 months after I bought it it's at last 100% reliable. It took 1000 rounds to get it there. Imagine how hard it was to finally get 1000 rounds to put through it during the shortage. >:( It took finding KTOG for me to learn that---which also led to my PF-9 a year ago. I kept thet LCP because I liked the concept and the size.

I bought my P3AT this past Spring. It has never jammed not even during break in! :) It is THE most reliable gun I've ever owned. It has never misfed a single time. My P3AT is every thing I had hoped my LCP would be out of the box.

13. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I'm the he that was making them and then didn't replace the add in the Trader. I've decided to keep milling them as needed. I'm planning on replacing the add in the near future and then keeping a back up add for when it gets corrupted again :)

14. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Off subject but, how does your ad get corrupted?

Billy

15. tadams

tadams New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Northeast TN
    Thread revival alert. :eek:

I, too, would be interested in a couple P3 Metal catches. Add me to the list.

16. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Don't know exactly but it has happened twice now. The first time pretty much destoyed most of the adds that were older then a couple of weeks. I think it was a huge data base corruption as well and the server was down for a bit as a result. The second time it seems like it was only my add?

17. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    The thread is only a few weeks old?

There isn't really a list. I've replaced the old add in the trader with a new one.

18. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Dave's thread in the trading post (ad) is a hyper link in the FAQ/VIP thread. this Hyperlink takes you to the FAQ/VIP

19. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    it makes a world of diff to me to have that solid engagement with the metal mag catch. love it.

20. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    I never got hold of a metal one either.As mine is not shot much I got a new palstic one from ktec.I kinda squared it off so it fit deeper in the mag.I then do the old hold the catch in as I insert/retract mag.By the way I had some problems with mine and did a few of the mods that were suggested(hood mod etc) but I think it was the new style extractor that ktec sent me that did the trick.