Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am new here and I am looking at purchasing a PF-9 next week from Buds Gun shop. I will be using this as a primary carry pistol for daily carry. I have owned several pistols in recent months trying to find something that fits for me. I'm diabetic and have nerve issues in my lets which causes pain when something is pressed against it. I started out using a Taurus 111 G2, but it was way too big and heavy, moved to a 709 Slim and it wasn't bad but I just didnt like the gun, too top heavy for me and didn't sit good in my Sticky holster. Bought the Diamondback Db9 and it was the perfect 9mm for me, super small, light, not much bigger then my current Edc which is a Ruger Lcp, but proved to not be reliable with pretty much any ammo I ran thru it.

A friend of mine told me about the Pf-9 as he has one and loves his, Ive done some research and it seems that half the people say they are the worst gun made, the other half swear by them. I am not a snob, by far, never owned a pistol that costs more then 275 dollars. What can you all tell me about the Pf-9, things that I might need to know, ammo it tends to like if any, and so on. Oh and if anyone knows how the recoil compares to the Diamondback Db9 I would love to know. We dont have ranges around my area so i can't rent one and test it out.

Thanks everyone very much.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
You should be comfortable with the size of the pf9. It is almost exactly the same size as the db9 with only a very slight increase in each dimension and 1.7 ounces heavier. So if the size of the db9 worked for you, the pf9 will too. I've never shot or even held the DB, but the recoil should be similar.

I would not expect any long term trouble with a pf9. Once broken in, they are pretty reliable. I don't shoot mine much because i mostly carry a p3at, but it has never had a failure with a handful of different rounds. Hopefully it will digest whatever ammo you have on hand although sometimes folks have to experiment a little. From what I've read and the anecdotal evidence I've seen, i think KT makes a better product than DB and I think you'll like the pf9.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you have sensitive hands, the pf9 may not be for you. Recoil is snappy and the trigger bites. I have straightend the trigger and added shrink tubing to it. Also padded the grip. Mine has been very dependable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I owned a DB9, prior to buying a PF-9. The DB9 was noticeably smaller in all dimensions, and recoil was significantly snappier and more unpleasant than the PF-9.

The DB9 also liked spontaneously breaking parts (I suspect EVERY metal part on
it is MIM, and who ever does their MIM work is not very consistent), and disliked going thru a magazine with at least one (and usually several) misfeed.

You'll find the PF-9 much more enjoyable to shoot, compared to the DB9. You'll miss the accuracy of the DB9, and the really nice trigger, but trading off the unreliability of the DB9 will make up for it.

My fishin' buddy really disliked shooting the DB9, and didn't like the PF-9 too much, either. He found the slightly wider grip of the P-11 comfortable however, and ended up getting himself a P-11 (and is happy with it). So along with PF-9, you might see if you can handle a P-11.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a db380 about a month ago and had nothing but trouble out of it. Every ammo I tried it would hang up at least once per mag. Only thing that was reliable in it was the Polycase frangible Target ammo. I attribute that to the fact it was only 65gr. Every thing else was 95gr. I think their guns just won't chamber standard size ammo. I know in the Db9 booklet it plainly said not to use over 124gr 9mm ammo. Pity to, their 9mm would be awesome for carry.

As to the recoil of the pf9 for me I don't see it being an issue, the wife however, might. It would be my primary gun, she would have the Lcp, but on the off chance I needed something I could hide better, I may carry the Lcp from time to time, leaving her with the pf9. She's a bit recoil shy, but shoots the Lcp like a pro, but hated the recoil on my sccy Cpx2 I had.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As to the recoil of the pf9 for me I don't see it being an issue, the wife however, might.

She's a bit recoil shy, but shoots the Lcp like a pro, but hated the recoil on my sccy Cpx2 I had.
The SCCY CPX's are very close to P-11's; some might call that an understatement.

If wife disliked recoil of the CPX, she probably will dislike a PF-9 even more, assuming you weren't shooting +P or +P+ ammo in the CPX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never shoot +p in any of my guns, just something I've never done. As for the Sccy, I think it might have had more to do with how wide the grip was and her hold on it then anything. The grip on the Sccy is just too wide to me, I would prefer it if you could remove the "recoil absorbing backstrap" they put on them, just makes it too wide in the palm.
I also had a Taurus 709 but disliked how it felt, it was top heavy and had a sloppy trigger, I could hit better, much better with my Sccy or Lcp, so I think I will like the trigger on the Pf9 because I liked the one on the Sccy and the Lcp, I hate a soft, light trigger in a carry gun as i am not a fan of safeties on defensive handguns. I also consider the Taurus Protector Poly or M85 38sp but they are running around 350 and the ammo for them is more costly then 380 is, and thats saying something as 380 is 20.00 a box here. 38sp is running around 26 a box for target fmj, about 35 for a box of defense loads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey all I am new here and I am looking at purchasing a PF-9 next week from Buds Gun shop. I will be using this as a primary carry pistol for daily carry. I have owned several pistols in recent months trying to find something that fits for me. I'm diabetic and have nerve issues in my lets which causes pain when something is pressed against it. I started out using a Taurus 111 G2, but it was way too big and heavy, moved to a 709 Slim and it wasn't bad but I just didnt like the gun, too top heavy for me and didn't sit good in my Sticky holster. Bought the Diamondback Db9 and it was the perfect 9mm for me, super small, light, not much bigger then my current Edc which is a Ruger Lcp, but proved to not be reliable with pretty much any ammo I ran thru it.

A friend of mine told me about the Pf-9 as he has one and loves his, Ive done some research and it seems that half the people say they are the worst gun made, the other half swear by them. I am not a snob, by far, never owned a pistol that costs more then 275 dollars. What can you all tell me about the Pf-9, things that I might need to know, ammo it tends to like if any, and so on. Oh and if anyone knows how the recoil compares to the Diamondback Db9 I would love to know. We dont have ranges around my area so i can't rent one and test it out.

Thanks everyone very much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I hope I reach you in time. Don't waste your money. The PF9 is a fun little gun for anyone that enjoys to trying to fix its many issues but for someone wanting a reliable pistol for edc be realistic and buy something just a little bit bigger from a company that actually wants it's products to work.
I love the PF9's size and weight but with the problems I've had with poorly machined slide (which should have been discovered by ANYONE) FTF, FTE and now a cracked slide, I can't take it anymore. Sure KelTec has a lifetime warranty and if you live in Cocoa Beach, I guess it would be wonderful but for the rest of us that have to send the gun to them it's just not feasible with all the problems the average PF9 owner encounters.
I just bought a S&W Shield from Palmetto State Armory for more than $100 less than I paid for my PF9. Yes it weighs a little more and is a little bigger but so far it fires EVERY TIME I pull the trigger and it is a pleasure to shoot.
So, good luck with whatever you choose. I hear some have never had a problem with the PF9, you could be one of the lucky ones. If you get one, I sincerely hope you are.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Only small 9mm I like more than the PF9 is the Kahr PM9 (or CM9). My PF9 replaced a P3AT and has been perfect out of the box. BUT, mine has the NiB slide. If you will do some searching, you will find that is a good choice and will avoid some of the sporadic issues that the other slides have.

Mine has several thousand rounds on it and gets carried daily and does not get cleaned. Just a bit of Lucas grease on the slide and trigger. I carried it for almost 6 months as a back-up getting it full of lint, dirt, moisture, etc. I won't let mine go for anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My PF9 had a few hangups first few magazines (about 1 in 8 would jam), but i never cleaned it before shooting it brand new. After that I cleaned and lubed it, reassembled it and its been great ever since. The spring was noticably stiffer when new, so maybe it just took some breaking in to get things going.

If it's too uncomfortable carying up front, I really like mine at the lower back for sitting and standing. Get a belt clip (far less bulky than a holster) and consider a kydex trigger guard on a string.

I also LOVE the Galco lite shoulder holster with the PF9. Very light and comfortable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought a PF9 last week from Buds, shot 200 rounds through it yesterday with a variety of different ammo, no jams or malfunctions. It has significant recoil compared to larger framed 9mm pistols, but that is just because it is slim and light weight. The PF9 is definitely a good choice!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
welcome to the club. I love my pf9 also. My hand doesn't after 2 boxes at the range.
I highly recommend the northwood trigger. Changes the game, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Step 1 : Break in - They need it
Step 2 : Fluff 'n' Buff - Improves reliability substantially
Step 3 : Accessories - Better shooting/carrying

Accessories include extra mags. Use a silver sharpie to number them to figure out which one the gun is most reliable with. The +1 baseplate mags will give you much better control and help reduce the risk of limp-wristing induced failures. Some type of grip sleeve is a must on the PF9 in my opinion. Better grip and less pain. Many people rave about the Northwood trigger upgrade (haven't gotten that far myself yet).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.