Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read somewhere that magazines should not be kept at full capacity for extended periods or they'll not be springy in the long run.

I' have also heard that single-stack magazines like the ones the P3AT uses does not have a problem with this.

Regardless of this I keep 3 magazines always filled up to six including the one in the pistol living in my pocket.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated!

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Conventional wisdom says that keeping mag springs compressed does not wear them quickly. It is the cycling up and down that wears them over time. I keep 2 fully loaded at all times. KT uses high quality silcon mag springs and I have never had one go bad over the years. When I shoot the P3AT, I always shoot the carry ammo in those 2 mags. So far - so good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've read somewhere that magazines should not be kept at full capacity for extended periods or they'll not be springy in the long run.

I' have also heard that single-stack magazines like the ones the P3AT uses does not have a problem with this.

Regardless of this I keep 3 magazines always filled up to six including the one in the pistol living in my pocket.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated!
If this were true we'd have to jack up our cars and put the front on blocks each evening.

My brother-in-law has a 40's vintage 1911 and three mags that he bought in the early 50's. He keeps them all fully loaded. He hasn't shot the gun in over 30 years. On a visit back some time ago I asked if he ever unloaded the mags. No, he doesn't. Then I ask if I could unload one just see what the spring was doing. I unloaded and reloaded all three. Trust me, they were just as strong as they were when bought. We went to the backyard and I cycled all three mags manually and it never failed to chamber a round. Long story short. If your mag spring fails find a different brand of spring/mag. Springs should not loose strength over the years unless they get really really really hot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys very much! wisdom is always appreciated

cheers,

TZH

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
My P32 mags have been kept loaded for more than 12 years now and they still work great.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Conventional wisdom says that keeping mag springs compressed does not wear them quickly. It is the cycling up and down that wears them over time. I keep 2 fully loaded at all times. KT uses high quality silcon mag springs and I have never had one go bad over the years. When I shoot the P3AT, I always shoot the carry ammo in those 2 mags. So far - so good.
This is right ^^^^^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts