Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I'm a new comer to this site so may not know the rules well but will try not to make any one unhappy. I bought a new RDB almost two years ago. Love that little gun!! Slick design work, darn good ergonomics and downright sexy good looks. The problem showed up when I tried to shoot it. Only one single time has my RDB fired ten rounds without multiple fires, sometimes three or four at a time. I acquired an RMA from Keltec and sent it back. This was during the recall I think it was the Sub gun problem. Keltec kept my rifle four months then it showed up one day with a note saying that they found no problem with it. I'm at a lose as to what to do. I have machine capability and have built/restored several dozens of guns from ww2 BM59 to Galils,AKs, Mausers and so on. I did install a firing pin spring but that made no difference. I've even had this rifle fire on dropping the bolt! What I can say at this point is that I do not believe this is a firing pin problem. I'm becoming convinced that ,at least in my case, this is a sear problem. I think the secondary is failing somehow. What I need at this point is a good understanding of how the fire control system is supposed to function, maybe a good exploded view with a flow chart, a good bit larger than that in the manual. Any help or advice will be most welcome.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I need at this point is a good understanding of how the fire control system is supposed to function, maybe a good exploded view with a flow chart, a good bit larger than that in the manual. Any help or advice will be most welcome.
I looked for something like that but never found anything better than page 14 of the owner's manual.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/build-keltec/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/rdb17_series_manual.pdf

If you find something good, please post it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd send it back to KT again...and again...and again...until they solve your issue.
^^^This^^^

The last thing you want to do is start fiddling with a gun that's shooting doubles or worse. If the wrong person heard or saw that happen at the range, you could find yourself in hot water for having an unregistered machine gun (it's happened). Send it back to KT and make it clear that you want it fixed, replaced, or a refund.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
No, nobody will get mad. We are all aware of the issues.
I agree with all the above.
You are not the first with this issue and like you said, I too suspect a FCG issue.
However, some issues have been fixed with some gas retarding.
But because you had a discharge on chambering, this is going to happen regardless of gas setting.
You have a dangerous rifle there.
Send it back again
This is the first Ive heard of the turnaround being 4 months! Was it during the last hurricane or flood to hit Cocoa Beach? That was a time they got delayed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, nobody will get mad. We are all aware of the issues.
I agree with all the above.
You are not the first with this issue and like you said, I too suspect a FCG issue.
However, some issues have been fixed with some gas retarding.
But because you had a discharge on chambering, this is going to happen regardless of gas setting.
You have a dangerous rifle there.
Send it back again
This is the first Ive heard of the turnaround being 4 months! Was it during the last hurricane or flood to hit Cocoa Beach? That was a time they got delayed.
The time was during a recall that was apparently a real pain. When my rifle had been gone for a few weeks I called to check. The person I got found my rifle still on the dock not even checked in yet. I guess it could be that the stars were misaligned or something but I got the impression that they just wanted me to go away quietly. I'll give it another shot, possibly will receive a warmer reception. Thanks all for your kind advice, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
You must have got a lemon, mine has not missed a lick in over two years. And that is being suppressed. Finally broke down and purchased a handle from the Irishman and it took all of 5 minutes to install. do not know why this was difficult for others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must have got a lemon, mine has not missed a lick in over two years. And that is being suppressed. Finally broke down and purchased a handle from the Irishman and it took all of 5 minutes to install. do not know why this was difficult for others.
I've considered that upgrade, but need to get the functional issues worked out first. I've decided to take the advice of the other commenters and send it back again. At this time I have the RMA, just have to pack it and ship. It's a bit over 25 miles from my home to the nearest FedEx depot so may be a day or but it will be going back for repairs. I just hope this trip is more productive than the last. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would be nice if KT would let you hang on to the receiver and just send the other parts. That way you aren't sending a firearm and you could just send it from the fedex desk at any OfficeMax.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be nice if KT would let you hang on to the receiver and just send the other parts. That way you aren't sending a firearm and you could just send it from the fedex desk at any OfficeMax.
Thanks for the suggestion, but they have not mentioned anything like that. Frankly I'd prefer that they have the whole thing anyway. As I see this they may be able to repair my rifle, or they may choose to replace. Either is fine with me as long as the returned unit is safe and reliable. I'll make the 25 mile one way trip in to the FedEx depot tomorrow and send it off. Thanks again for your input. I'll keep this thread informed as this unfolds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I hope they make it right for you. Keep us updated and try like hell to get them to give an answer to what's causing this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well....it went back FedEx yesterday. I think I need to change my attitude about KelTech a bit. That last interaction gave me a bad taste for them but one poor experience can happen to anyone. So, I'm going to be optimistic and hope for a really good firearm on return. Thanks again all for kind words and advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked for something like that but never found anything better than page 14 of the owner's manual.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/build-keltec/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/rdb17_series_manual.pdf

If you find something good, please post it.
I imagine you are all aware of the youtube posts relating to the RDB. A friend was helping me try to sort out my issues and looking for information. In the process he found this posting on youtube. This is mostly about a trigger spring replacement but has a lot more content.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...=4E9C1CB7089DEE2ACC674E9C1CB7089DEE2ACC67Sent

This has a pretty good explanation of how the linkage is designed and just as important, has some darn good close-up footage of the internals. I hope this is of some value. let me know if it is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hope this is of some value. let me know if it is.
I watched that video a couple of times. That trigger system is a five layer parfait of parts. I think I'll need a detailed drawing or just wait until mine arrives and observe its function.

I think the stock trigger spring is fine, but almost anything will benefit from some light polishing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I watched that video a couple of times. That trigger system is a five layer parfait of parts. I think I'll need a detailed drawing or just wait until mine arrives and observe its function.

I think the stock trigger spring is fine, but almost anything will benefit from some light polishing.
The odd thing about it is that it doesn't seem necessary that it be that complicated. All it's doing is regular old primary/secondary search function. It's just doing those functions on that linkage bar instead of doing it directly on a hammer. I'm probably missing something, but agree with you, that's a snake pit of springs and links! Maybe someone will come up with a simple drop in unit like the ones for the ARs. I'll take two! Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The odd thing about it is that it doesn't seem necessary that it be that complicated.
That's what bothers me about the design. Anyone can make a system complex; the hard thing is to make one that is simple. I think Keltec makes some of the elements of the design complex because it is cheaper to do it that way.

I have played with Ruger MK pistols for a couple of decades. They all have a trigger forward of the magazine, a transfer bar that travels next to the magazine, and a hammer just behind the magazine. That's basic bullpup architecture, and Volquartzen parts easily provide a less than two pound trigger with short reset. But they don't do it with stamped steel hammers, rivets and tension springs.

What Keltec did right in my opinion is show the way to a bullpup that isn't only going to be used by people under orders to use one, but a sportsman's rifle that ordinary people would buy with their own money and that doesn't need a 12 pound trigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what bothers me about the design. Anyone can make a system complex; the hard thing is to make one that is simple. I think Keltec makes some of the elements of the design complex because it is cheaper to do it that way.

I have played with Ruger MK pistols for a couple of decades. They all have a trigger forward of the magazine, a transfer bar that travels next to the magazine, and a hammer just behind the magazine. That's basic bullpup architecture, and Volquartzen parts easily provide a less than two pound trigger with short reset. But they don't do it with stamped steel hammers, rivets and tension springs.

What Keltec did right in my opinion is show the way to a bullpup that isn't only going to be used by people under orders to use one, but a sportsman's rifle that ordinary people would buy with their own money and that doesn't need a 12 pound trigger.
Bullpups are just cool and interesting for some reason. There have been a lot of them around for a long time if you look for them. One of my favorites is the Bushmaster Bullpup of a few years past. The sighting is a bit lacking but with some minor mods it's a wonderful piece. As I said earlier, it should be fairly straight forward to design a drop-in style system for the RDB. The real problems arise when dealing with production and liability issues. Hopefully someone with the wearwithall to make it happen will come up with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...The Long Suffering RDB has returned home. The work order that accompanied my rifle basically said that they had removed the receiver and installed a new rifle on it. Of course there was more detail but that's the bottom line. At this time I have run a total of 40 rounds through it without a problem....well except the time the mag fell out during firing. That could have been due to one of the four mags used or to my over sized thumb joint. The other three worked fine: one Magpul, one Lancer, one Tapco and a Troy. The ammo used was 20 rounds of Winchester 5.56 NATO and 20 rounds of S&B 223. So far so good. I'm a bit crunched for time these days, but as I get time to test further I'll let you all know results. Thanks for your interest, comments and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
The mag release was updated with stiffer construction lady year. does your mag release have two holes on the trigger?
Assuming you have a pistol grip?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts