Long Posts Difficult to Type

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by PF9Newbie, Jul 14, 2010.

1. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I note a problem in posting that I was wondering if anyone else had. In typing up the occasional longer post which is longer than the "window" space provided, I find that once I reach the bottom of space, the text does not move up and let me see the line I am typing, While I can force a scroll to see the next line, as soon as I try to resume typing, the line drops out of sight below the post "window" again. This makes doing a longer post very difficult as I cannot see what I am typing towards the bottom. Is there some way to set or enlarge the posting window? Or to force it to recognize longer posts more easily? I do note many longer posts from others and wonder how they do it.

Jim R

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

3. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Same here, but mine only occurs when I am quoting someone and making a long reply below the quoted area. If I'm just making a long winded blowhard post it seems to be fine. :D

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    same problem here. I don't know when it started happening for me.
    for example I can no longer edit the FAQ/VIP threads

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, me too, only when quoting.  Someone else had reported this problem sometime back.  At the time, I had never experienced it.  IIRC, we speculated that it was an IE8 issue but I am seeing it with Foxfire.  :-/

I'm not sure what's up with that but I don't see that as the same issue.  Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly.  :-?

Anyway, I'll I pass this on to Ray and see what develops.  I bet an upgrade to a later version of yabb  would fix this and some other PITA issues to - like the inability to EDIT the freakin' censored word list and remove words we need, like C0CK.  Hint, hint...   :)

6. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    After a few experiments, I agree it only happens for me after a quote...not just a post or reply. :-/

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I should have said it is hard to edit.... ;) the same problem...if I try to edit something below the first screen full, it jumps back up, so I have to type blindly on the few times I added new info to those Loooong threads in the faq/vip

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    RAY!

I made an inquiry on the yabb forum about the censored word list some time back.  I forgot to check for a reply.

I got this reply:

Hmm...  yabb 2.5 Anniversary Edition perhaps?   [smiley=laugh.gif]
    http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1247546019

2.4 looks good too.  :)

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Gotcha.  I sent an email to Ray with a link to this thread.  ;)

10. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    All this time I thought it was just me...or my stupid computers. :D

11. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Fixed.  The censored list can now be edited.

It _may_ be that IE has trouble when there are quotes within quotes.
    Perhaps someone who uses IE can test that theory.  Since we are a security company,
    IE is of course not allowed on our network.

The latest version doesn't seem to have any changes related to this, except if it's the "quotes within quotes" issue.

Aside from the single mention of "Foxfire", everything I've seen says this
    is yet another IE bug.  While I'd like to have even IE users happy, I do look at this
    somewhat like a complaint about an AR that doesn't shoot Wolf ammo well.
    We IT guys have been telling people for YEARS to get the heck away from IE.
    It's more dangerous than a $60 gun shooting Russian surplus ammo.  The
    Department of Homeland Security has warned that using IE is asking for
    trouble.  If this is one more reason to get encourage someone to use Firefox,
    Seamonkey, Opera, Konqueror, or some other browser that actually works
    without having to break every page in order to deal with IE bugs and doesn't
    subject you to huge security risks I'm not terribly upset about that.

Seriously, a couple of years ago my brother tried out Firefox for the first time.
    He came across something he'd like to have improved.  I submitted the request
    and 26 hours later the feature had been added.  At the same time, I was waiting, and
    am still waiting, for Microsoft to fix a serious bug that they've known about
    since 1998!  Just last month they put up a small work-around for PART of the
    security hole.  It's been twelve years and they haven't fixed it.  With that kind of
    stuff, where the manufacturer takes twelve years and still hasn't actually fixed it,
    I'm not real motivated to spend a lot of my time hacking around their bugs.

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Ok, thanks.  That was fast.  :cool:

We can now say cock the hammer.  :)

13. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Easier said than done, on a KT.

14. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Ray and Dale...I just installed Google Chrome and the problem goes away completely.

And I think I like it...soon as I figure it out. [smiley=cheesy.gif]

15. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the very useful inputs and information on this issue. I already have Google Chrome installed, although I don't use it very often (just used to IE I guess, and have not had many issues so been to set in my ways to change, I guess). At any rate, went to Chrome and tried a test long post quoting a long post within, and it worked just fine. So obviously as noted, it is an IE thing and does not seem to matter what version of IE. About what you expect from Microsoft

Jim R

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    THANKS...downloaded and installed Foxfire (just on backup computer for now ;) )

17. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Well...Google Chrome kinda sucks.

Can't use any of the toggle buttons when posting, like the quote button, insert image...etc.

Also, none of the smiley toggle buttons work. Or bold, italic, underline...etc.

Gonna try Firefox next, see if that works.

18. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Well...this sucks too...Firefox does the same thing.

Switching from IE gets rid of the original problem, but creates other more annoying problems.

Any suggestions?

19. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I should have said it is hard to edit.... ;)  the same problem...if I try to edit something below the first screen full, it jumps back up, so I have to type blindly on the few times I added new info to those Loooong threads in the faq/vip[/quote]

I got around this in the Sub FAQ by splitting it into 2 posts. I have general weapon info in post #1, and moved accessories and any other extras that will follow into post #2. That has helped for me at least.

20. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    OK, I give up for now. I just downloaded Opera and have the same problems I have with Chrome and Firefox...none of the toggle buttons work while posting or replying.

Bueller???

[edit]News flash...I'm back on IE and apparently the toggle buttons are messed up here with YaBB and KTOG cause they ain't working with IE either...and they were working yesterday. I see a few other posts thru-out the forum that makes me think we have a glitch going on.[/edit]