LocTite/ KelTec grip compatibility

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Salty, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty Member

Feb 13, 2005
    I saw a thread (I think on KTOG) where someone applied LocTite to (P3AT) pin #253 to stop it from dropping down (this pin stiffens the trigger...not a cross pin).

Concerned that some plastics are attacked by some LocTite retention products, I researched.

I then forwarded the information to KelTec in the following email:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kel-Tec's website describes the grip of the P3AT as being made of DuPont ST-8018.

I have read threads describing application of LocTite retaining compounds to some parts of the gun.

Concerned that LocTite can attack some plastics, I contacted both DuPont and LocTite.

In these contacts I have learned that there is no such product as ST-8018. I believe a mistake exists in the Kel-Tec information when it refers to the non-existent product "St-8018".

From LocTite:

It is true that retaining compounds like 609 & 680 will attack
    certain plastics.  It's not clear though what the Dupont ST-8018 is.   Can
    Dupont provide you with a tradename or the actual type plastic?
    Unfortunately, I have no reference to ST-8018.

From DuPont:

DuPont Zytel(R) is the tradename for ST801 and 8018 products.  Zytel(R) ST801 is a toughened nylon 66 and Zytel(R) 8018 is a glass-reinforced/toughened 66 nylon.

Upon forwarding the above to LocTite, they replied:

Anaerobic retaining compounds like 609 and 680 will not attack nylon materials.  These are polyamide plastics and anaerobics are compatible with this particular plastic.

It appears that a writer in your company combined two products into a new but non-existent one :)

I thought I'd pass this info along to you, in case the questions come up.

LOVE my P3AT !! :)

Regards,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So... Applying LocTite retention products listed above is a go.

Regarding the ST-8018 product number... a representative from DuPont phoned me because they were concerned that my question be answered correctly. I received assurances that there is no such product as ST-8018. So I passed it along to KelTec and KTOG  :)

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    thanks for the research.

3. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Yep!
    Thanks for the work on that one. ;)

Have to say though, that folks have been doing it almost since the P-32 was invented.

If it was gonna cause problems, we would surely know it by now.

rcmodel

4. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Why are so many firearms dealers against LocTite? I was looking for some to buy and several places that I went to said they don't carry it because they don't believe in it or they think it is a waste of money?

I finally found a tube for about $8.