Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around ideas for "quick access" to my KSG.

I want to have my KSG become my "camp gun". I recently (last year) bought a pop-up and when in the woods, would like to have the KSG.

The bad news, is for "during the day" or just hiking around, the KSG would not be carried (i have a few different unmentionable 10mm polymer pistols for that duty).

But in bear and other dangerous animal (regardless of number of legs) a 12g slug (or 00 buck) has more repellent factor than 10mm.

But, what I dont like is an un-secured gun.

For pistols I like something like this.

I like quick access but "Secure".

Note that secure doesnt mean a 3000lb safe. By secure I mean "limits uncontrolled access" and "takes at least some effort to steal"

Does anyone have any ideas on securing a KSG in a camper but still having it accessible?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was thinking the same. Make up some kind of cable lock where you can anchor the gun to the interior frame somewhere. Maybe a long computer security cable and a master lock?
That might help if your in an area were a crook needs to be somewhat stealthy. In the woods even without the tools most keep in their rig you'll barley slow them down. Lock it in some manner but you better hide it too. They can't steal it if they don't know you have it. This issue goes beyond just having some property stolen. With gun ownership comes the responsibility to take reasonable steps to insure that the weapon does not find its way into dangerous hands.
If I'm bringing the gun there is no way I'm leaving it in camp. The best solution is to bring it on your hikes. If the 10 is not enough for what you might encounter and the shotgun is too much to haul ......I would carry something else ei .... a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I'm bringing the gun there is no way I'm leaving it in camp. The best solution is to bring it on your hikes. If the 10 is not enough for what you might encounter and the shotgun is too much to haul ......I would carry something else ei .... a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull.

Henry Rifle 45-70 all weather (on my short list)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That might help if your in an area were a crook needs to be somewhat stealthy. In the woods even without the tools most keep in their rig you'll barley slow them down. Lock it in some manner but you better hide it too. They can't steal it if they don't know you have it. This issue goes beyond just having some property stolen. With gun ownership comes the responsibility to take reasonable steps to insure that the weapon does not find its way into dangerous hands.
Sure, but if you go high enough, you dont want to hike around with extra weight. I have enough of my own extra weight to lug around.:eek:

Most of time, it is more about hiding the weapon out of sight and securing it from un-authorized access but to be able to get to it "quickly" if needed.

For example, when sleeping. I still like to have a weapon secured (we do camp with kids and sometimes other peoples children can be around) when possible but quick to unsecure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shotlocker

This is what I have done for the bedside. I keep the lid closed and latched with a jacket over it when I'm in town for a short while, friends are over or when the grandkids are here. If nobody but my wife or I are home, I leave it unlocked and open.

If I'm going to be gone for more than a few hours, I put it in my gunsafe as I think the shotlock is more intended as a way to keep "honest" people and little kids out. I'm pretty certain I could bust it open with a big hammer / cordless sawzall / angle grinder and 10-15 minutes of time.

That being said, If you can find a spot with a couple of wall studs that you can get a few lag bolts into, it is really pretty solid. A bonus to the shotlock is that it has a little "cubbyhole" at the bottom where you can fit three 7 round Esstac cards for quick access to extra ammo. I keep one card loaded with birdshot for varmints, one with slugs and one with extra #1 buckshot to replace what is in the KSG if that would become necessary.

The only mod I had to make to it is that I had to flip the grip adapter piece over and drill a couple new holes to make it work the the KSG. My gun has a EoTech with a 1/2" riser, a streamlight TLR all the way forward on the top rail and a magpul foregrip and everything fits like it was made for it. I'm real happy with it!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I have done for the bedside. I keep the lid closed and latched with a jacket over it when I'm in town for a short while, friends are over or when the grandkids are here. If nobody but my wife or I are home, I leave it unlocked and open.

If I'm going to be gone for more than a few hours, I put it in my gunsafe as I think the shotlock is more intended as a way to keep "honest" people and little kids out. I'm pretty certain I could bust it open with a big hammer / cordless sawzall / angle grinder and 10-15 minutes of time.

That being said, If you can find a spot with a couple of wall studs that you can get a few lag bolts into, it is really pretty solid. A bonus to the shotlock is that it has a little "cubbyhole" at the bottom where you can fit three 7 round Esstac cards for quick access to extra ammo. I keep one card loaded with birdshot for varmints, one with slugs and one with extra #1 buckshot to replace what is in the KSG if that would become necessary.

The only mod I had to make to it is that I had to flip the grip adapter piece over and drill a couple new holes to make it work the the KSG. My gun has a EoTech with a 1/2" riser, a streamlight TLR all the way forward on the top rail and a magpul foregrip and everything fits like it was made for it. I'm real happy with it!
I like that!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not totally on topic, but I just saw this in the Rossi B92 lever action manual, and thought I'd share

Warning
Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and result in injury or death.

Warning
Failure to properly secure a firearm may result in injury or death.

This is the first time I've seen a manufacturer basically thumb their nose at govt. (and lawyer) mandated warnings, and remind folks that the relationship of firearm security to personal security is proportionally inverse in nature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.