Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two .380's (a p3at and a hi-point) the p3 is a "locked breech" and the hp is a "blowback".

Could someone explain the difference to me?

GoVols

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Locked-Breech/Blowback - What's the Difference

Just as a visual reference - You can easily take out the barrel of a locked breech pistol with a field strip, like with a P-32 or P-3AT.  With a blow back pistol, the barrel is securely attached to the frame or receiver. It can be removed but usually with special tools, like a barrel press with a Makarov.

·
Registered
159 Posts

In the P3 the barrel and slide travel together under recoil until the elbow in the barrel contacts the frame pin, at which point the barrel tilts and the slide continues on its own. So up until that point the barrel and slide are locked together. It is my understanding that in an NAA Guardian or Seecamp (for examples) the barrel is part of the frame and the slide recoils on its own.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Yep, IIRC, the NAA Guardian is a straight-blow back pistol while the Seecamp is a chamber-ring delayed blow-back design.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Since I didn't see it mentioned (but perhaps it was)...

It is typically necessary to build a blowback action with considerably more moving mass than a locked-breech action, in order to delay & slow down the extraction.  This is one reason why the P3AT is so small and light.

Now, with that said, the seecamp is pretty darn impressive (only a little heavier than the P3AT) -- but from an earlier reply, I guess it's not a traditional blowback.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

Another difference, "blowbacks" get a lot dirtier than the "locked breach" design.

Jim, who shoots WWB & is glad all that crud is on the front of his P3, not the reciever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.