Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having trouble shooting consistent groups at 15 yds, Shots went up, down and to the right by 8 inches from initial shot of two within an 1 1/2 inches of each other. I took the forend off to examine the barrel tightness and found the locking nut (103 in the instructions) loose. It was not tight up against the washer. I think it should be tight I doubt that it should be loose. The barrel is not loose. I put about 900 rounds through the gun and I do not remember ever getting a small group at 25 yds (2 inch dia) and definitely not at 50 yds. I have a red dot sight on it also but the iron sights and red dot give me the same results. I have no problem wit my ar 15 at 15 yds putting them in small group thirty rds in the same hole. Will call Kelec and ask them about it. Oh it's 40 cal.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
The nut sets the locking tension of the trigger guard. Just take it down nice and hand tight and verify the trigger guard locks up just as the gun fully opens. The forearm is designed to hold the lock nut in tension. Make sure the screws in the forearm are snugged all the way down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the reply. Will do as you suggest and take it to the range this week and see if it helps. Will use a strap wrench to snug it up a little better than my hands can do.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Don't use a strap wrench. You may tighten it to the point the trigger guard won't release. Just nice and hand tight and check the lock up. Maybe put a rag or cloth over the nut to protect your hand, but only hand tight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tightened it already. No problems with the trigger guard releasing. It took a lot of the play out of the forend. I Marked the locknut with a silver marking pen and only turned a quarter turn after hand tight. Sort of like you do with oil filters. It is fine thread on the barrel and since it was a cone type spring washer betweent the locknut and lock nut washer it was not going to be deflected far enough to produce a high load on the lock nut washer. I realized that the barrel is inserted into the plastic hinge and did not want to over stress it. I have worked with bevel spring washers before so I am familiar with what you can do with them. You do not want to squeeze them too much as they produce high forces with a little deflection to them. Might call Keltec on Monday to get their advice just as a precaution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got back from the range and after 40 rds the locknut was lose again. Called Keltec today and was told to add a little locktite to the threads. I did not see any evidence that it had been originally applied to the locknut but it was visible on the barrel threads in front of the locknut. Since it turns freely I am assuming there is no locktite on the threads as locktite generally makes turning threads stiff. I applied locktite 242 as best as I could and I am hoping for the best. I painted a mark on the visible part of the locknut to see if it moves again. Next step would be locktite 271 a more permanent locktite compound. If I could get my hands on locktite 290 it would work best as it wicks into the threads.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I noticed mine had worked a touch loose when I tore mine apart to be cerakoted. Applied some 243 and hand tightened it down like was suggested already, not too tight but just snug enough. So far mine seems to have stayed put.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.