Loaded magazines not locking in

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mudriver, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mudriver

mudriver New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    My wife and her mom just picked up a P3AT each and while trying to test fire we noticed a problem.  When a mag was full it didn't want to lock into either gun.  Anyone familiar with this problem?  Seemed like we needed a lot of force to lock it in.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll assume if you load the mag less one, it will lock in

with 6 rounds in the magazine, the rounds should be able to be pressed BELOW the notch in the back of the magazine, if it feel hard or snaps, then

the magazine should be disassembled, inspected and cleaned.

the fully compressed spring needs to fit inside the follower and the follower rest on the base plate. the inner base plate has little **** that the coils need to fit around. the inside walls of the follower should also be free of any mold flashing.

3. mudriver

mudriver New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    thank you, I'll try it

4. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Let us know if it works for you.

5. indyjoe

indyjoe New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I just picked up my P3AT today and had this happen with one of my two mags. It was the mag that came with the P3AT. The spare mag I purchased holds in fine. For me, it still came out without rounds, the rounds just made it obvious. I am able to pull the mag out at the bottom without any rounds in it. I've narrowed down the problem to the base plate. I can swap those and swap the failure and success in the mags. I tried to sand it down a little, but it didn't seem to change things. I had also purchased the +1 extension, so I just put it on that mag.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have heard of folks having to trim excess flashing off a base plate to get a good fit.  If you were going to use the +1 anyway, I guess it doens't matter.  I favor the +1 myself.

7. indyjoe

indyjoe New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I think that is the route I'm heading. Both mags with +1 installed, so I'm not worrying about it. Turned out to be a little bit of flashing on the pistol grip that interfered with only one mag. There was a divot where it would have hit the mag that works.

8. Sounds like you figured it out.

Most of these problems do involve trimming, sanding a bit of plastic.

Also- to keep from dumping mags while shooting, some will trim down the mag release a bit.

Good luck with all the estrogen in your shooting circle!