Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The P3AT is brand new.. I did a little fluff and buff but didn't really know what I was doing.  I had a lot of FTFs and finallly one just got stuck.   I couldn't get it apart until we got home...DH managed to shoot it out.

There is a ridge inside the barrel about 1/2 inch inside the barrel past the feed ramp.  DH thinks the cartridges are hanging up on that on the way in.  

Is that supposed to be sanded away?  It looks like part of the design, like the rifling, and I didn't want to work on it until I knew what the deal was.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
You are correct - the ridge is part of the design. I have never sanded my barrel and have never had a FTF. Is yours an old or new serial number. Mine starts with J9 - no worries. Also, be sure to use grease (not oil) on all mating surface you can reach with a cotton swab (including the feed ramp). Use oil on those you can't reach.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using? Lots of times certain brands don't accomidate the KT.

I've been using basic ball ammo, FMG, with no problems so far.

You may want to check out different brands or pollish the ramp/chamber a bit. Use your fingernail to detect problems.

The internal ridge is normal for all guns I've seen. What is not normal are burrs on this ridge.

I'd take a round and barrel only and see how it chambers manually. That may give you a clue as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wheelguy said:
You are correct - the ridge is part of the design. I have never sanded my barrel and have never had a FTF. Is yours an old or new serial number. Mine starts with J9 - no worries. Also, be sure to use grease (not oil) on all mating surface you can reach with a cotton swab (including the feed ramp). Use oil on those you can't reach.
Mine is a J6 series. Yeah I just cleaned my Glock and it had that ridge too, unless DH saw something I'm not seeing...he's not talking to me now because I wouldn't let him work on it. He wanted to wrap the 400 grit around a shell and work it in and out. I wanted to just roll up the sandpaper and work with it that way. Guess I gotta defer to the man on guns eh. :(

When you say grease will gun slick work? Use grease on the feed ramp?? I'm still real confused about grease/oil and where/when.

Bitswap, I had just started a box of PMC ammo, never got to the blazer brass I had.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Just guessing here, but are you talking about the step in the chamber bore that the mouth of the round headspaces on :-/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JFB said:
Just guessing here, but are you talking about the step in the chamber bore that the mouth of the round headspaces on :-/
If I understand you properly, yes DH thinks the round is sticking on that step in the bore. He pushed some of the PMC in and out and it would get stuck right there.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What's a good grease? Search the posts. I've heard people use anything from white lithium to bacon fat (I think they were kidding  ::)). You want something that won't gum up, cleans off easily, and doesn't evaporate over time. I like to use "Microlon Assembly Lube", but it's really expensive. I got the whole lube ritual down to using only 1 patch and 2 q-tips for the whole job.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
With out being able to see the barrel it sounds like you are talking about the ridge that the round head spaces on. If that is the case then DO NOT sand it down.

When the case gets that far in it is supposed to stop.

Are you having Feed problems Extract, Eject or Fire problems?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rcmodel said:
Thanks!  That's the answer I needed.  Gun slick is all I have right now and I want to lube my Glock for an all-day SD class tomorrow.  

DH brought me a dremel to buff the mouse gun's feed ramp later...

GoldenLoki says for lube point D:

"coat the inside of the barrel under lug"  but points only to the area under the lug.  

Am I supposed to put lube IN the barrel?  

·
Registered
357 Posts
wheelguy said:
. Also, be sure to use grease (not oil) on all mating surface you can reach with a cotton swab (including the feed ramp). Use oil on those you can't reach.

I have never put oil or grease on a feed ramp - IMO not a good idea - but I would polish it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
cass said:
Am I supposed to put lube IN the barrel?
Surely you're joking! :-/

The lug is on the underside of the barrel where it rotates around the hinge pin. Put a dab of grease in that recess to decrease friction.

Once you clean a barrel on any firearm, pistol, rifle, or shotgun, run a clean patch with very light oil for corrosion control. I usually run a clean patch through the barrel before shooting to ensure there is no excess accumulation. There is no need to ever lubricate the inside of a barrel except between shooting for corrosion control, not lubrication. Any excess in the chamber area can dramatically increase pressures and ruin you whole day!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Cass:

Regarding lubing inside the barrel, GL says this:

4. run an oiled patch through the barrel, followed by a dry patch to remove any excess.

You were referring to the inside of the barrel lugs (grease), not inside of the barrel itself. Note where the line is pointing:

D. coat the inside of the barrel under lug
Good question. This is how we learn. 8)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try this.

Clean out everything in the barrel, oil, grease, hair tonic... everything.

Now manually put a round in the chamber and push it in till it is chambered. Turn it muzzle up and the round should fall out by itself.

It it doesn't, return the barrel to KT, could be they got the headspace reaming off.

Solve all your lube problems by getting a can of Wipe-Out. It cleans and lubs.

Good luck,
Bit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.