Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pictures of my custom CNC machined mag releases.  All dimensions were taken off OEM release with a digital micrometer.  These were made from billet aluminum and polished to a mirror finish.  The mags have a nice "click" to them when inserted.  My mag had a tendency to fall out on occasions but not any more.  Also they match my polished barrel ;D.  I made one for my GFs gun too.  Next my Dad's but not sure what my future plans are for these but if things slow down a little who knows how many I can produce.   :eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might produce a dozen or so maybe soon, like I said when things so down a little. I don't want to produce them if there is no market though. :p They are precise little things and they have the repeatability and the accuracy of a CNC. I will keep you in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Some of the members here have made metal mag catches in the past, but that is the most precise and well-finished I have seen ! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bobo

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At first I really didn't go into making these to start a business. Sometimes there are too few hours in a day to get everything done. Here is what I am going to do. I will get working on producing a handful of them, make sure a few willing people will purchase them. Make sure that those people are 100% satisfied with the quality because I will not sell anything that doesn't satisfy my customer. Then when people can confess on the good workmanship and quality, I will continue producing. There was a lot of trial and error on these especially when it came to the mag sliding in without pushing the button. The angle and taper that meets the mag has to be just right. A little minor sanding might have to be done on the angle to suit the individual person but after the trial and error session, I think I got that angle pretty much correct. Also there is more work than most would maybe think because of the minor filing, sanding and polishing. The product will look as good or better than the picture. I will make sure that the entire surface is polished, even where you can't see. One thing that is certain with these is that all the dimensions will be consistant and no or little sanding will be needed on the angle. This is a new frontier for me and customer satisfaction will be a guarantee. As for pricing, I never thought about it yet because of the amount of time spent for the first 2 that I made. I think I got the bugs worked out and I couldn't be happier with mine :) One thing I can say is that it will be around the same price as the others you see for sell but will have CNC precision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds great! I will look forward to seeing how things go for you..Good Luck! Thanks for taking on the project...don't spend too much time polishing ;), I will probably end up giving mine a satin finish anyway!
Best, Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm definitely in for one or two. Also, the high polish, if not required for smooth function, may be kind of lost on this gun. It's supposed to be a little rough and unkempt, right? ;)

Keep us posted, it sounds like there is some interest.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.