Little gems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hudispit, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Here are a few pictures of my custom CNC machined mag releases.  All dimensions were taken off OEM release with a digital micrometer.  These were made from billet aluminum and polished to a mirror finish.  The mags have a nice "click" to them when inserted.  My mag had a tendency to fall out on occasions but not any more.  Also they match my polished barrel ;D.  I made one for my GFs gun too.  Next my Dad's but not sure what my future plans are for these but if things slow down a little who knows how many I can produce.   :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I want one! How quickly can you produce another? ;D

3. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I might produce a dozen or so maybe soon, like I said when things so down a little. I don't want to produce them if there is no market though. :p They are precise little things and they have the repeatability and the accuracy of a CNC. I will keep you in mind.

4. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks! I'm sure if you made them people would buy them. I've been waiting a year or two to get my hands on a nice aluminum catch.

5. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Wow, those look sweeeet. If you make any more and want someone to take one off your hands, I am in. I went through two catches so far. Those plastic ones are a POS in my opinion.

6. edpm3

edpm3 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Very nice. If you ever set up production, I'm in for at least two.

7. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I would go for one too.

8. papajoe

papajoe New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    I'm in for one also!

9. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Well it looks like I have to go fire up the CNC. I will have further details in the days to come. ;)

10. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Some of the members here have made metal mag catches in the past, but that is the most precise and well-finished I have seen ! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bobo

11. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008

I might be interested as well, any idea of pricing yet?
    Thanks, Steve

12. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    At first I really didn't go into making these to start a business. Sometimes there are too few hours in a day to get everything done. Here is what I am going to do. I will get working on producing a handful of them, make sure a few willing people will purchase them. Make sure that those people are 100% satisfied with the quality because I will not sell anything that doesn't satisfy my customer. Then when people can confess on the good workmanship and quality, I will continue producing. There was a lot of trial and error on these especially when it came to the mag sliding in without pushing the button. The angle and taper that meets the mag has to be just right. A little minor sanding might have to be done on the angle to suit the individual person but after the trial and error session, I think I got that angle pretty much correct. Also there is more work than most would maybe think because of the minor filing, sanding and polishing. The product will look as good or better than the picture. I will make sure that the entire surface is polished, even where you can't see. One thing that is certain with these is that all the dimensions will be consistant and no or little sanding will be needed on the angle. This is a new frontier for me and customer satisfaction will be a guarantee. As for pricing, I never thought about it yet because of the amount of time spent for the first 2 that I made. I think I got the bugs worked out and I couldn't be happier with mine :) One thing I can say is that it will be around the same price as the others you see for sell but will have CNC precision.

13. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    let me know when you start selling them ;)

14. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Sounds great! I will look forward to seeing how things go for you..Good Luck! Thanks for taking on the project...don't spend too much time polishing ;), I will probably end up giving mine a satin finish anyway!
    Best, Steve

15. ArtAttackTat2

ArtAttackTat2 New Member

Nov 16, 2008
  16. harleyboy

harleyboy New Member

May 25, 2008
  17. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I'm definitely in for one or two. Also, the high polish, if not required for smooth function, may be kind of lost on this gun. It's supposed to be a little rough and unkempt, right? ;)

Keep us posted, it sounds like there is some interest.

18. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I'll Take 2!

19. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Looks great. +1 on the not spending time polishing for cosmetics. Mine is for function not beauty.

20. Travelair

Travelair New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will this fit a PF9 or a 1G P32?