Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only just learned about the concept of linear compensators and I have a few noob questions.
  1. Does "size matter"? For instance I see some that are about 2" long while some are 4" long. Are the longer ones more effective?
  2. I shoot mostly at an indoor range. It's loud there, naturally -- and that's part of the reason I'm considering a linear compensator. But are they less effective in an indoor setting, because the sound is just going to bounce right back at you anyway?
  3. Has anybody used one on their S2K? And did you notice any difference at all?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I haven't used one on my Sub2K, but I have one on two of my ARs. It doesn't reduce the decibel level by much, but if you shoot at a range with other shooters on each side of you, they will appreciate it as the muzzle blast is directed forward.

I got mine on sale from KAW Valley for around $30 each, but they are higher priced now, I believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't used one on my Sub2K, but I have one on two of my ARs. It doesn't reduce the decibel level by much, but if you shoot at a range with other shooters on each side of you, they will appreciate it as the muzzle blast is directed forward.

I got mine on sale from KAW Valley for around $30 each, but they are higher priced now, I believe.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I was expecting -- maybe a modest improvement for myself and/or the people next to me. But given the relatively affordable price, I figure it's not a lot of risk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put one on my Sub 2000, silver. Looks good, but also supposed to cut down on barrel rise after you shoot. Easier to align for the second shot. With ear muffs, I don't care about the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried the KAK flash can and the MCarbo Muzzle Brake. It's a 9mm PCC. I don't care what the person next to me thinks because last time he was shooting a 45 magnum 2x as loud as my sub2000. The muzzle brake controls rise much more. The can just felt like a gimmick, it's not really any quieter in an indoor space because the sound still reflects.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I may be mistaken, but doesn't a muzzle break just pump the exhaust to the sides to reduce recoil? The compensator sends it all straight out the tip of the barrel, increasing the tendency to reduce barrel rise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Silencer Central discusses muzzle brakes vs. compensators. Actually, according to their write up, the compensator directs the exhaust marginally downward to stop muzzle rise. The brake is for recoil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I only just learned about the concept of linear compensators and I have a few noob questions.

1. I shoot mostly at an indoor range. It's loud there, naturally -- and that's part of the reason I'm considering a linear compensator. But are they less effective in an indoor setting, because the sound is just going to bounce right back at you anyway?
My opinion - I use linear compensators on AR pistols. They help with noise outside but not at an indoor range. They are designed in part to funnel noise directly away from you. At an indoor range, that noise comes right back at you off the far wall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
  1. Does "size matter"? For instance I see some that are about 2" long while some are 4" long. Are the longer ones more effective?
  2. I shoot mostly at an indoor range. It's loud there, naturally -- and that's part of the reason I'm considering a linear compensator. But are they less effective in an indoor setting, because the sound is just going to bounce right back at you anyway?
  3. Has anybody used one on their S2K? And did you notice any difference at all?
Don’t think you’ll notice much difference indoors but it doesn’t cost much to try one and see. I’ve got 3 Kaw Valley linears; one on a short barrel AR, one on a IWI Tavor and one on a short barrel Scorpion. Outdoors, I notice a difference in all three with the compensators installed. Never tried one on my Sub2000 since it’s a 9mm with a 16” barrel and isn’t that loud as stock. As far as size goes, just get whatever you think looks good on your gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts