Light strikes?

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Mattitude, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mattitude

Mattitude Member

Nov 23, 2015
    central NC
    I picked up a Gen2 about 2 months ago and so far have run close to 300rds through it, 95% brass cased & 5% steel. I've shot so few steel not because of cycling issues but because almost every round would need to be re-cocked due to light striking. I've had a handful of light strikes with the brass rounds but no where near than with the steel cased fodder. I do realize that the steel cased foreign stuff uses harder primers but I've not had that many light strikes with any other firearms. Have light strikes been noticed/common with the S2K's? Again mine is the Gen2 9mm w/G17 grip frame and everything is completely stock.

2. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    They were more of a problem with the Gen 1's for a little while, but not the Gen 2. But did you know Kel-tec specifically does not recommend steel or aluminum cased ammo in the Sub?

3. Bagger

Bagger Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Coastal South Carolina
    Not in a Sub 2K but we had problems with the cheap Wolf ammo. Striker fired guns had a lot of problems with what we thought were light strikes. But, we discovered zero failures in hammer fired guns. Those hard primers need to be hit pretty hard in order for them to fire.

4. Mattitude

Mattitude Member

Nov 23, 2015
    central NC
    I'll have to read my manual about the steel & aluminum cased ammo warning. I did get a handful of light strikes with brass cased as well (Geco 124gr & Fiocchi 115gr Shooting Dynamics). Even the fired cases look to have somewhat shallow primer indentations.

5. BobM14

BobM14 New Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Having the same issue. Only shot brass through it. Had only 2 light primer strikes within the first 300 rounds. I guess it's not bad? Might see if I can't take the firing pin out of the bolt and give them a good cleaning.

6. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    It won't be in there chapter and verse. The Gen 1 manual specified standard factory ammunition (read Brass cased), but I can find no reference in the Gen 2 manual. You can take my word for it based on 10+ years as a member here. You can ignore me and call Kel-tec. Or you can simply ignore me and keep shooting unrecommended ammo. Your choice. ;)

Regardless, aluminum cased ammunition and blowback actions do not get along. Aluminum casings by their nature need the casing to be fully supported for their firing cycle. As in a locked breech action.

I cannot explain away the light strikes from 2 different guns. A call to Kel-tec may be in order.

7. jwfox

jwfox New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    My experience with light strikes almost always has to do with the channel or hole where the firing pin protrudes, along with the firing pin itself, is dirty. Try a detailed disassembly of your bolt and carrier, paying particular attention to thorough cleaning the firing pin and flushing the hole/ channel it rests in and gives it access to the primer. It may be as simple as that, and not that time consuming.