Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the 2G P3 has developed another behavior problem. It has about 1,000 rounds through it, and has been back to the factory once to cure ejection issues. It has been runnin' like a champ on Magtech.

However, my bro and I head down to the range for a night of plinking. I pull out the P3, and CLICK.

Damn. Round #1 of my carry pistol didn't fire. My stomach dropped a little bit.

Cosequently, I experienced another 4 or 5 light strikes throughout the session.

I don't think it is ammo related, but I haven't proven that out yet. The prior 5 or 6 boxes from the case worked great.

I am also very careful to let the trigger reset between shots, as I understand that can cause similar conditions.

I haven't taken the pistol apart beyond normal field strip, clean, and lube. I'd try the FP spring mod, but I guess I'd just like to bounce this of you guys first.

As always...thanks in advance.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  There is a new, shorter, firing pin spring available for just this problem. Call KT service (1-800-515-9983) tell them you are having light strikes and have them send you one for free. Get a new FP while you are at it. You must specifically ask for the shorter FP spring or you might get an older version.

Also get a new hammer spring, as this could be stretched and causing the problem too. When replacing the hammer spring, be sure you dry fire first to release the tension or you might over-stretch the new spring as well.

While you have the FP out, run (by hand) a drill bit into it and thoroughly clean the FP channel of gunk and chips. Reaming the FP hole on the breech face to slightly countersunk also helps to keep gunk from clogging it.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I send packer more e-mails looking for advice than I know what to do with.

Between him and his mods on the p-11 specifically, and rcmodel and his knowledge of firearms in general, we are truly lucky.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
fatman said:
I have learned to count on Packer!  I figure a man who shoots a pistol in each hand might know twice as much as those of us who use one hand at a time? ;D
rjhauser said:
I send packer more e-mails looking for advice than I know what to do with.

Between him and his mods on the p-11 specifically, and rcmodel and his knowledge of firearms in general, we are truly lucky.
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the compliments. However, I'm not worthy to be compared in the same sentence to rcmodel.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I am not sure ANYONE can be put in the same sentence as rcmodel.

I still do not know where or how he gets his information...space aliens or zombies maybe?

he has forgotten more than I will ever know.

RJ

G

·
orvanic.  my bet is that your hammer spring is week. if you have over 1000 rounds through it and no lite strikes until now, I don't think it is the firing pin spring.  If you pull the firing pin out and the spring is the length of the firing pin tip, then you are ok and have the latest one out, if it extends beyond the firing pin about 3 or 4 coils, either cut it back (which many do) or get kt's new spring. My bet is on the hammer spring.  let us know.  My p32 did that after about a 100 rounds with lite stikes and I replace the hammer spring and it has been good to go.  And when I laid the old spring next to the new hammer spring, it indeed was stretched.  If in doubt replace..Then shoot it like u stole it..

Course we are all assuming that you are fully releasing the trigger to allow it to set properly..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.