Light strikes solved, testing without firing

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by slmjim, Dec 4, 2017.

1. slmjim

slmjim Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Stainless S2K Gen.1, 9mm Glock. Maybe 300 down the pipe.

The last time I fired it was months ago; it ran fine. Cleaned the barrel, bolts & tube and into the safe it went.

Cabelas has IMI 115gr. JHP's on sale now for .22/rd. Reviews indicate penetration & expansion is better from longer barrels/higher velocity, so I bought a few boxes to test. Got to the range and it would not fire. Primer strikes were so light that they were difficult to see. Same with Blazer Brass. Pulled the bolt, pushed the firing pin and it apparently traveled with no resistance other than that of the pin spring.

After I got home I pulled the trigger on a cocked hammer with the rifle hinged open, and the tip of my finger pressed on the bolt face. Ouch! At the very least there was a good finger strike.(Note to self: don't do that again...).

I live within city limits and cannot legally discharge a firearm on my property. How to test primer strikes? Snap caps aren't really that informative because after one has been snapped, well..., it's been snapped. Not the best way to repeatedly test the quality of strikes.

9mm headspaces on the case mouth. I took a fired case and melted a tiny puddle solder onto the base of the case and the primer, filling in the original strike dimple. Placed the modified case in the chamber, closed the barrel onto the receiver & pulled the trigger. The solder exhibited the same light strike.

I restore vintage motorcycles as a hobby. One critical tool when dealing with old bikes is an ultrasonic tank. Not wishing to drive the pin out of the bolt to remove the firing pin, I decided to try the ultrasonic tank. It happened to have a 50/50 mix of PineSol/water in it from the last use. It's a very effective degreaser. Three, four minute runs in four inches of solution (vertical, bolt face down; vertical, bolt face up; horizontal) with a shot of carb cleaner into both ends of the firing pin channel between each ultrasonic run. I couldn't tell any difference in pin travel or resistance afterwards, but testing with a fired, solder/modified case revealed very solid firing pin strikes where before the strike was exceedingly light.

A clean firing pin/channel and a safe, easy way to ascertain the quality of strikes without the need to fire a live round are my main points.

I've been poking around this and other sites looking for similar symptoms without success. Hopefully this will help someone diagnose and solve a similar problem.

Good Shootin'
    slmjim

2. slmjim

slmjim Member

Dec 4, 2017
    A trip to the range yesterday confirmed the cleaning described above was successful. 150 rounds of mostly IMI JHP with a little Blazer Brass mixed in fired fine, with only three last round FTE's, all 3 from different mags.

Good Shootin'
    slmjim

850sub likes this.

3. Bubbas308AR

Bubbas308AR Member Supporter

Sep 17, 2017
    Mandan, ND
    That isn't the first time I have heard of a dirty firing pin channel causing pin travel problems. And that statement is made from personal and reading experience.

The S2K isn't immune, as no mechanical tool, or gun, is from dirt in the mechanism.