Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody. I have a new PF-9, and I got the Northwoods trigger for it before I ever shot it because the trigger pinched my finger even when dry firing on snap caps. I had the trigger installed by a local gunsmith with an excellent reputation. He didn't test-fire it because he had fit me in for a "while you wait" on a very busy day. I took it to the range and ran about 100 rounds of 115-grain Winchester White Box FMJ without any problems as long as I remembered to let the trigger fully reset. (I'm one of those short-reset Glock guys.)

On my next range trip, I took some Remington 115-grain jacketed hollowpoints (green box). I had many, many misfires, like maybe 1 in 3. There are dents on the primer, and they will eventually go bang, on the second or third strike. I tried some Remington 115-grain FMJ -- same problem. I didn't have anymore WWB, so I couldn't try that again, but I had some Speer Lawman. I fired two magazines worth of that without a hitch.

What does anybody think? Ammo-related problem? Problem with the trigger installation? Combination of the two? Is the PF-9 known as a "light striker"? Has anybody heard of or had a similar problem with the Remington ammo? I fired about 50 rounds of it through my Glock 19 with no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't heard of any issues with Remington ammo, just WWB. I'd go to the range with something decent and try it again. Normally light strikes happen when you don't allow the trigger to come all the way forward, but you said you were keeping an eye on that.

If it fired WWB and Lawman just fine I would suspect it's the ammo.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
It is possible that the firing pin channel still has some preservative or other gunk left, and is slowing down the pin strike a bit, especially since you have run a few rounds through it. May need the channel cleaned out. One other cause of light strikes in the PF-9 is not letting the trigger fully reset in shooting. If the trigger only partly resets, it will still pull the hammer back and let it fall, but the hammer block drags on the hammer and slows the hammer down-resulting in a light strike. I note you said you had some problems with trigger reset early on since the reset on the PF-9 is pretty long. Also, your gunsmith might not have made enough pre-travel in the aluminum trigger to ensure full reset every time, since the aluminum trigger does reduce pre-travel, but some is still required.

Jim R

·
Registered
43 Posts
FTF issues

I had the same thing going on with my new PF-9. Lots of misfires with both Remington UMC and WWB. I spent quality time flushing deburring the contours of the firing pin and removing most machining marks on the pin that were contrary to the operating plane of the pin with 1500 grit sand paper (be certain not to "round over" or bevel any features of the firing pin). Also chamferred the firing pin hole in the bolt face slightly as described in F&B I flushed out out the firing pin channel and reassembled the firing pin/extractor assembly. The gun runs well now with no misfires with same ammo. I believe you can make these guns be reliable with a bit of care.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Remington primers seem to crater and shear more than some ammo in all three of my PF9s. Little primer metal gets in firing pin channel and causes light strike. Next trigger pull, firing pin forces metal out and round fires. Rem UMC fmj, jhp and even Golden Saber do this in mine? Examples of fired primers in picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
I did a couple while the customer waited trigger installs last week. But I figure if I did it you would have called. I always check pre-travel after having problems with my own and the first edition of the trigger system. However the not enough room up front in these guns usually means the trigger will not reset at all. If the gun was never cleaned out from the factory there may and probably is some junk in the firing pin channel. Also by looking at the new trigger there should be a tiny gap in front of the trigger and the plastic grip. If it is touching the grip then you don't have enough space. Very easy to fix with an exacto blade or sharp pocket knife. Just shave a tiny bit out of the way. If it came from me then bring it back and I will fix it no matter what the problem is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
forestranger said:
Remington primers seem to crater and shear more than some ammo in all three of my PF9s. Little primer metal gets in firing pin channel and causes light strike. Next trigger pull, firing pin forces metal out and round fires. Rem UMC fmj, jhp and even Golden Saber do this in mine? Examples of fired primers in picture:
If those cases are from a PF 9 mine must be broken,mine barely dent the primer lol.
I only had issues with S+B ammo not working.
All else all go but strikes are light after cleaning
channel

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I did a couple while the customer waited trigger installs last week. But I figure if I did it you would have called. I always check pre-travel after having problems with my own and the first edition of the trigger system. However the not enough room up front in these guns usually means the trigger will not reset at all. If the gun was never cleaned out from the factory there may and probably is some junk in the firing pin channel. Also by looking at the new trigger there should be a tiny gap in front of the trigger and the plastic grip. If it is touching the grip then you don't have enough space. Very easy to fix with an exacto blade or sharp pocket knife. Just shave a tiny bit out of the way. If it came from me then bring it back and I will fix it no matter what the problem is.
On one of the aluminum trigger jobs I did, it seemed to work perfectly, dropping the hamer consistently during my dry fire tests. However, after firing some 20-30 rounds at the range, it stopped dropping the hammer altogether. When I got the pistol home and checked it out very carefully, I found that it did not have quite enough pre-travel, and the hammer was dragging slightly on the hammer block. It became obvious that when the pistol heated up just a bit, the hammer block was not being totally moved out of the way, and the resulting friction was preventing the hammer from falling. It is possible here that there is just enough interference from the hammer block to cause the light strikes during range time. As you note, opening the grip space just a tiny bit would probably allow for just enough increased pre-travel/reset space to cure the problem, moving the hammer block a little more to get it out of the way of the hammer fall.

Jim R

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good info here,PF9newbie,Rebootit, I can tell you fellas have done this a time or two (installed the NW trigger)

·
Registered
152 Posts
interesting...

Win primers aren't known for being soft (Federal's are and that's why many that have tuned actions to ultra light pulls use them)
I'm assuming Lawman uses CCI primers , since they're both owned by the same parent Co
They're neither hard nor soft from my experience

I don't know who makes Rem primers .
I do know how you could tell if it's having issues with hard primers in general though....
Buy a box of Tulammo..i know from experience their primers are hard .
I have an M&P i put a comp trigger kit in..part of that KIT was a lighter striker spring.
I have occasional fail to detonate a primer with Tulammo in that pistol

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If those cases are from a PF 9 mine must be broken,mine barely dent the primer lol.
I only had issues with S+B ammo not working.
All else all go but strikes are light after cleaning
channel
Sorry! Should have made that clear. All rds from same PF9.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, folks, this is all good info -- rebootit, it wasn't you that did the install. I'm in New York State.

I'm thinking that it's not a trigger reset problem this time because it sometimes happens on the very first round. There's barely any space between the front of the trigger and the grip frame, but it doesn't look like there's contact there. I could be wrong.

I'll try cleaning out the pin channel first. Second, I'll try shaving the grip frame. If I'm still having problems, I'll take it back to the smith and see what he can do. It could be partially ammo-related, but I'd like the gun to be able to shoot whatever I feed it, within reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I looked at the shell heads on FTF rounds the pin dent was quite a bit off center and splashed looking. after the firing pin hole in the bolt face was chamfered a little and the firing pin smoothed and the firing pin channel cleaned this problem cleared up.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have had bad luck with Remmington ammo! Many failure to fire! I even had Remmington slugs cost me a nice deer when they failed to fire in my 12 gauge! My buddy and I were having some "light strikes" with my PF9 and his P11 with UMC ammo about a month ago. I have never had any problems till recent years with Remmington. They USED TO BE my ammo of choice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
UMC will flat out not function in my S&W SD-9. Gun will eat anything else, even wolf but UMC will not eject. It works fine in my pf9 though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts