Light strikes after mag catch change

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by wuchak, Oct 7, 2007.

1. wuchak

wuchak New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Hi All,

I recently installed a new mag catch from KT. I was having problems getting my mag with the +1 extension to seat fully. I turned

out to be something with the +1 extension since the mag seats fine with the original base plate reinstalled. Anyways since I put the new mag catch in I am getting a couple of light strikes per magazine. I never had a light strike before I took it apart and put the catch in. I must have done something wrong in reassembly but I'm not sure what it might be. Any suggestions of what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wuchak

FYI - I followed the instructions in these videos to do the install.

Frame removal and installation
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

Mag catch install
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    stretched hammer spring comes to mind.

and if you have the belt clip, make sure you did not over tighten the screw...

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep. There is no reason that changing the mag catch would result in light strikes except that in removing and replacing the hammer spring, you may have over-stretched it a bit. This assumes that you were allowing the trigger to fully reset forward (2 clicks) between shots and that you did not have a batch of ammo with extra hard primers. If it continues after ruling those 2 things out, call KT service and ask them to send you a hammer spring assembly. When you install it, use caution not to stretch the spring more than necessary.

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    In order to avoid over-stretching the hammer spring, you MUST drop the hammer, by pulling the trigger, BEFORE you remove the hammer spring catch from the butt of the grip.

Packer

5. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Does one have to remove the hammer spring in order to change over to the steel mag catch?

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No - the mag catch can be changed without removing the frame.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    When using the +1 extension it is sometime necessary to slightly shorten the bottom of the grip to get the mag to seat. Remove a very small amount of plastic where the base plate of the mag touches the grip. < 1/32".

PshootR

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
  9. wuchak

wuchak New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Thanks everyone. I called Kel-Tec today and a new hammer spring is on the way.