light strike

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by nhkeltec, Dec 29, 2007.

1. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Hello, I went to the range today...had a ball, the gun function very well. I ran different ammo through it with no problems. Really happy. ;D

I didn't let the trigger completely reset and had a light strike with no discharge of the round. The gun Jammed and I could not get the slide to move and was unable to clear the weapon. I was forced to break the slide down to remove the live round. :-/

I am new to the Keltec world...so please any advice on removing an unfired round after a light strike....besides letting the trigger reset ::).

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Simply retract the slide 1/4 inch or so and the hammer will reset allowing you to shoot the round without ejecting it.

3. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    That was the problem the slide was jammed. I couldn't move it back far enough to reset the trigger. The slide was basically frozen. Is this normal?

4. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    when I removed the round it was dimpled. I later shot the round w/o difficulty.

I pulled the trigger ....heard and felt the click of the trigger firing pin ..no discharge ...slide frozen. Unable to move slide.

Thanks Guys

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I just tried mine several time, repeating the light strike. I could not tell any differance in the force required to pull the slide back. I t migh had been a little harder, but nothing I could tell with out using a spring scale :-/

6. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks for the fast reply. This was probably just a freak thing that will never happen again. I am going to try to duplicate light strike and see what happens.
    It was strange, I fired 3 shots in rapid fire mode and didn't let that fickle little trigger set...my own fault. I found it strange to have the slide just jam. When I say Jam...not hard to pull back...solid not moving at all.

I will try it again. I still really like my new purchase..I think it will be with me dailly for a long time.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Ok, another attempt to duplicate what you said happen.

My observations
    The slide has to go back far enough for the barrel to slide down the breach face and the slide just leaves the barrel BEFORE the trigger will reset.  right at or slightly over 0.2"

Now were you able move the slide only about 0.1".  this is when the barrel starts to slide down the breach.  

I also observed that the firing pin is pushed in as the slide is moved back that 0.1".  The firing pin can then go into the primer dimple and lock it up (really, just making it harder to rack slide)

I now chambered a round while holding trigger, did the partial trigger reset, then clicked.  I did this for 5 rounds and was able to rack my side and eject with no noticable differance.

Now my 5 rounds are only dimped slightly say 0.005" deep (just enough to catch an ink pen tip)

It could be the tip of your firing pin is absolutely flat.  if so, do not make the tip round, just use sand paper to knock off the sharp edges on the tip.

Now I did the partial reset and click with the EXPECTATION the pistol could fire.  Don't try, believing it will only go click.
    REPEAT
    I did the partial reset and click with the EXPECTATION the pistol could fire.  Don't try, believing it will only go click.

Edit
    if it was the firing pin dragging the primer dimple, you should see "smears" from the primer dimples on the spent rounds, since normal recoil has to "rack the slide" with the hammer down

8. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I was not able to move the slide at all. I tried multiple times to pull the slide back to remove the round...was unable to even budge the slide.
    I have to remove the slide from the frame, remove the recoil rod and springs then slide the barrel foreward to remove the round. The round had a pin size dimple in it roughly size equal to the tip of a needle or extra fine point pen tip.
    I will go to the range some time this week and run more rounds through it. In regard to duplicating this event I always assume the gun will work, so I will be sure to be very safe when reconstructing this scene.

I really do appreciate all of your help. I can't thank you guys enough here on this forum. I have learned an aweful lot about these hand guns.

It was a tad bit alarming to be unable to clear this weapon w/o taking it apart.

Thanks again

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm at a loss to what could have happen. there is one thing I'm thinking, but it would also bind up when firing.

If you can duplicate the locked slide with a light strike, please post back.

Being able to quickly clear a misfire is something I would want ;)

10. nhkeltec

nhkeltec New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks again and happy holidays...