Light Strike Worry?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Nov 23, 2008.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I was out yesterday in my back yard shooting one of my P3ATs. I had a 50 round box of 95 gr. Remington UMC ammo to practice with. On the first round of the sixth mag. the gun did not fire. Waited a bit, dropped the mag. and extracted the round to find that I had what "might" have been a light strike. I should have saved the round to compare the strike with other spent brass primers but not thinking about that I put the round back in the mag. and finished my shooting practice without incident.

So, my question is how concerned should I be about this one failure? I've probably got, between my two P3ATs, 1000 rounds or so without any light strike failures.

Thanks...

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Could It have been not letting the trigger reset and the hammer just falling of the block and not a complety hammer drawback?

Maybe you NEED the new hammer block

BUT cleaning the firing pin is always a good ideal if you havent in a few months

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Since it was on the first round of the mag, I guess you didn't short stroke it.  If you haven't cleaned the firing pin & channel, that might be a good idea.  Otherwise, it could have been the primer in that round - stuff happens.  Out of 1000 rounds, that isn't unusual.  Unless it reoccurs, I probably wouldn't worry, but I might clean up the FP system.

4. Firing pin chamber clean up is good advice.

Any chance you have taken the frame out of the gun recently?

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    How exactly would one clean the firing pin channel/camber? Sorry for the dumb question.

-Scott

6. Look at the parts diagram in you manual, or look here:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/downloads/p3atv2manual.pdf

Drop magazine.

Empty chamber.

Check chamber is empty again.

Field strip gun.

Remove barrel, recoil rod and recoil spring.

With a GOOD QUALITY allen wrench of appropriate size, remove FRANKEN BOLT. (Button Head- part # 183)

This one bolt/screw retains the extactor, extractor spring, the firing pin, and the firing pin spring.

Use caution as you take the screw out- the firing pin will jump out at ya some times.

With all the parts off of the slide- clean it as you normally would clean any gun part.

You may consider spending a little time to polish the firing pin of any burrs or rough edges.

Start with 400 grit wet sand paper, then finish with 600 grit.

If you really want to get after it...wrap the sand paper around something small enough and smooth out the firing pin chamber.

Clean it all out, lightly lube, then put it all back together. Note the position of the button head screw in relation to the notch in the firing pin. If properly installed- you should be able to manually push the firing pin foward a bit, but not have it fall out. You should also not feel any drag on the firing pin from the screw.

7. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Sweet! Thanks NAS. ;)

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    another method to clean the fp channel is to use a drill bit by hand. I assume everyone has a set of numbered drill bits at home. if so, the drilled holes IDs in the slide are 0.161” (#20) and 0.073” (#49).

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    This happened with my newer, JPMxx, P3AT that now has maybe 200-250 rounds through it with just this one failure. Think I'll do the firing pin cleaning thing just because.

Thanks...

10. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Oh, what size Allen wrench?

Thanks...

11. :-/ The little one in my 3AT kit? :-/

Sorry- I can't recall, but I bet a nickle JFB has the answer.

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-[

It is a 5/64" (0.0781")but a 2mm (0.0787") fits better ;)

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    :-[

It is a 5/64" (0.0781")but a 2mm (0.0787") fits better ;)
    [/quote]

Thanks. I should have a 2mm in my metric Allen wrench set.

Take care...