Light strike causes

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xls177, Jan 29, 2010.

1. xls177

xls177 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    My p3at a J5 model had a cople of light strikes.

Can you guys tell me the possible causes ?
    gun was not dirty and is lubed by REM oil

Also as a j5 model does it have the old trigger type and hammer block.
    Do i need to get anything replaced or upgraded?

Thanks

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    You aren't pulling the trigger hard enough! ;D
    Seriously though, what type of ammo are you using? Some manufacturers use harder primers than others and that can cause light strikes.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG. there is a thread in the FAQ/VIP post about what serial number is the begining of the new trigger.

From that post, I would think you have the old design which allows the hammer to have a light strike if the trigger is not FULLY realeased.

you state the gun is "cleaned and lubed". does this mean the firing pin has been removed and the channel in the slide cleaned. even if so, carring for a few months can allow lint and grit to accumulate. I pull my FP and clean every six months. I would think if the channel has been cleaned onced to remove any hard grit from manufactoring, a shot of can air would do the same

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    The #1 leading cause of light strikes is short stroking the trigger on older guns.

What happens when you short-stroke the trigger is, the hammer is released off of the hammer block and only puts a tiny dimple in the primer.

There is nothing at all that can happen to cause all other rounds to have deep FP dents and fire, and only an occasional one mis-fire and have only barely a dent.

Next time you fire the gun, slowly release the trigger while listening to it.

The first click you hear is the hammer block re-setting.

The second click is the trigger draw-bar actually re-setting on the hammer hook so it can pull the hammer all the way back and release it under full power.

rc

5. xls177

xls177 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Ammo was Winchester white box

I think you are right about the trigger. I will have to test again.

do you just pull the spring out of the firing pin hole and clean with a q tip?
    What is recommended for this

also does kel tec replace the old trigger type as warranty?

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you have to pull it out, it needed cleaning bad ;)

When you loosen the button head screw over 1 turn, the firing pin may/should spring out, thus be prepared to find the pin and spring if you don't retain the pin when loosing screw.

I'm not sure a qtip will fit, but if it does, yes.

for the first time cleaning, I would recomend using drill bits, turning between fingers

clicking on "quote from" will take you to a past thread discussing same

as for KT replacing trigger as warranty - No
    but I think they will if you purchase the parts/service