·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

anyone use this in your p11 - has me thinking might be worth a try

·
Administrator
32,265 Posts
Reads like a bunch of miracle round hype to me. "10 times the stopping power"...

KT does not recommend continued use of +P ammo.
I didn't see the bullet weight but to achieve the stated velocity with with the stated reduced recoil, it is likely a tiny fragmenting round. This is not a new or particularly proven concept.

I'd go with good quality JHP, maybe 115 - 124 grain. There are plenty of good choices. Although some use it, i think +P is not needed or particularly friendly to such a light pistol, or the shooter.

• Helpful
Reactions: RAT76 and lklawson

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's a 50gr. bullet. Yeah, sounds impressive but 9mm handguns are designed and sprung for 124+/- ammo. I would rather stick with something more traditional since it seems (to my logic) that you are introducing another opportunity for feed failures with exotic rounds like that.

·
Registered
P-11 & P-40, PF9, Beretta neo, Springfield XDS .45
59 Posts
Have not used it. Did see the also make it in .40 and .45 caliber. Decided to try it as I came across a box at my local gun show. Will report back when I get a chance to shoot it in the P40.
Office equipment Gadget Font Bumper Automotive design

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Kel-Tec isn't making these anymore. I don't see any reason to put the added stress of a +p round on these pistols. If you want to run +p, get one of the dozen or so new alternatives, including the p15.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought some of the 9mm, 40, and 45 versions of this back when it was on clearance one summer (and it was much cheaper than any practice ammo sells for today). It does well in longer barrels, and the speed is incredible out of a carbine. It cycles just fine in anything I have and my S2Ks eat it up. It isn't going to over-penetrate, so all the energy is dumped into the target. You should see what this does to a watermelon. I bought more of the 40 (60 grain) and 45 (78 grain) while it was still cheap. I would not pay the current prices, though.

The main advantage for me is that it is incredibly light to carry around. A bunch of happy sticks full of the 9 or 40 feels like carrying empty mags. The 45 is a little heavier than air, but it makes the 13 rd mags really light.

·
Registered
Too many guns. But then again, there's no such thing.
10 Posts
Reads like a bunch of miracle round hype to me. "10 times the stopping power"...

I'd go with good quality JHP, maybe 115 - 124 grain. There are plenty of good choices. Although some use it, i think +P is not needed or particularly friendly to such a light pistol, or the shooter.
I totally agree. Such hype is always a red flag to me. I, too, would go with a known and proven round. Not to mention it possibly being too hot for a lightweight handgun such as the P11 or P9.

Plus, any new ammo introduced to your carry gun should be put through a validation test of no less than 50 rounds and preferably 100. Hornady's Critical Defense and Federal's Personal Defense come in at less than a dollar per round, while this miracle ammo is twice that price. Personally, I'd save that $200 to fill up my car with a tank of gas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do wonder what it would do in the S2K?
About what you'd expect. 2300-ish fps.

I keep extra/backup mags with that stuff because it is so light and easy to carry. It's just for the highly unlikely event that I would need an extra mag or two. My S2Ks match the pistols (Sig 226 and Beretta 92) so the backup mags are for the handgun and long gun.

I totally agree. Such hype is always a red flag to me. I, too, would go with a known and proven round. Not to mention it possibly being too hot for a lightweight handgun such as the P11 or P9.

Plus, any new ammo introduced to your carry gun should be put through a validation test of no less than 50 rounds and preferably 100. Hornady's Critical Defense and Federal's Personal Defense come in at less than a dollar per round, while this miracle ammo is twice that price. Personally, I'd save that $200 to fill up my car with a tank of gas.
When I stocked up on it, the Critical Defense was much more expensive. I guess I got lucky shopping around a few years ago. Prices skyrocketed in 2020, and I wouldn't pay 2020s prices for them now, either.

I shot a lot of them through my S2Ks and really like the 40S&W version. I keep a 33 round stick of the 9mm as a backup mag on the 9mm S2K (it literally feels like an empty magazine).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts