Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd go ahead and post a reminder for those of us who already know this and perhaps over looked it. And for those newbies who may not have read about it here yet and need a good piece of guidence........

DON'T FORGET TO "BLUE" LOCTITE your extractor screw.  :-[

Now I already know this and have done it to all of my other KT's to keep the extractor from getting loose and causing FTE's. However............... I went shooting with my best friend on Tuesday with my still relatively new P3AT, and it started giving me fits.
Now I've only put maybe 2 to 400 rounds through it before this and not one FT anything. So when this started happening I was really baffled. And of course my buddy thinks I must get a commission on KT's the way I'm always reccomending them. So when it started failing to extract he started asking me when the little man inside the KT would jump out and fix it since they're the best thing since sliced bread.  ::)  LOL

Luckily I realized towards the end of the day that I had yet to put any Blue Loctite (actually I use "Permatex" thread locker which is the same thing) on my extractor screw. So I pulled out an allen wrench and SURE ENOUGH....... It was almost 2 turns loose!
Tightened it up and ran another 6 mags through it before leaving and not one FTE!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Came home, cleaned it and locked that sucker down to avoid a worse time for FTE's.  ;)

So don't forget boys and girls....... It may not be your grip or technique or the gun having faulty parts. It may just be that your franken screw has backed out.  :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Important information ...

Title pulls you in  & subject matter right up front ...

Easily digestible language, includes story/amplification/interesting info... format easy on the eyes ...

Not too long & a great bottom line/summary!    :)


Obviously all this is just IMHO, but this is one outstanding example of an effective post!
I read this Board most every day & I know quite a bit about KT's because of you guys like this.

Thanks Ape!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'll admit, I'm a noob to KTs, and i had not yet read this. This must be why I had like 5 FTEs when I went shooting this past weekend. I thought it was the "dirty" Independence 90 grs I was putting through it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dyno said:
Important information ...

Title pulls you in  & subject matter right up front ...

Easily digestible language, includes story/amplification/interesting info... format easy on the eyes ...

Not too long & a great bottom line/summary!    :)


Obviously all this is just IMHO, but this is one outstanding example of an effective post!
I read this Board most every day & I know quite a bit about KT's because of you guys like this.

Thanks Ape!
Wow.... I'm humbled by your accolades :-[ Thank you Sir! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,605 Posts
So don't forget boys and girls....... It may not be your grip or technique or the gun having faulty parts. It may just be that your franken screw has backed out
A very important bit of information to remember. Much apprectiate the reminder Ape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
torrent said:
So don't forget boys and girls....... It may not be your grip or technique or the gun having faulty parts. It may just be that your franken screw has backed out
A very important bit of information to remember.  Much apprectiate the reminder Ape.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I figured if I could forget then most anyone could. :-[
And before I realized my screw had loosened up I was trying to adjust my grip and stance to see if that could help. Even though I know full well that my grip and stance with these little guns is correct these days after a bit of experimenting way back when. :-/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
Thanks, Ape. Having recently sent my 1st gen to the factory and receiving it back as a 2nd gen, I am not yet aware of all the 'tips and tricks' of the second generation that are probably old hat to some of you guys, by now. I'll have to either get some thread locker or double-check the frankenbolt before and after each time I carry it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
I threw a Metric set of allen wrenches in my Range Bag after reading this. I'd been meaning to do that for a long time, but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JAB said:
Thanks, Ape.  Having recently sent my 1st gen to the factory and receiving it back as a 2nd gen, I am not yet aware of all the 'tips and tricks' of the second generation that are probably old hat to some of you guys, by now.  I'll have to either get some thread locker or double-check the frankenbolt before and after each time I carry it.
Actually I learned this lesson back when I first bought my PF9 and P32. I just forgot about it when I recently bought my P3AT. :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I had a few failures to extract with my P3AT last week, and I was especially surprised that it was happening with hot S&B ball. I just checked, and sure enough my extractor screw was about 1/3 turn loose. Now, if only I knew where my tube of loc-tite went... :-/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mr_camera_man said:
Thanks for posting this!  I had a few failures to extract with my P3AT last week, and I was especially surprised that it was happening with hot S&B ball.  I just checked, and sure enough my extractor screw was about 1/3 turn loose.  Now, if only I knew where my tube of loc-tite went...  :-/
Just make sure you use BLUE if you ever want to get that bad boy off again. ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top