Lefty with mag trouble

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BradW, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BradW

BradW New Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm new to the forum and just found a nice used P-3AT and thought this would be a good carry gun, appearantly alot of others think so too. I was wondering if anyone has shortened the mag release so the button is not as easy to push. When I carry mine in my front pocket (left side) I'll end up bumping the mag release and have the mag hanging out when I pull it out, that wouldn't be very handly if needed so I'm thinking it would be better to make it shorter so it won't stick out as far, anyone do that? any problems with that? Thanks for the input.
    Brad

2. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Which pocket holster are you using?

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    You are using a pocket holster aren't you :eek:  Humm?

Tom j.

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I carry my P3-AT weak-side in a proper pocket holster and have this same problem occasionally. Yes, lots of people have filed down the magazine release button, some so far that it requires a fingernail to push it. I just haven't gotten around to doing mine yet.

5. I have the metal catches on all of mine filed down to just above flush with the grip.

The plastic catches can also be filed flush.

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    No offense just checking.  ::)

tom j.

7. BradW

BradW New Member

Apr 11, 2008
    No I'm using the belt clip (no holster) just clipped to my pocket like a knife. Thanks for the info, I'll trim the mag button down a bit.

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Strange thing, I have never once had this problem and carry everyday. I have to really push it in to get it to release. But I do have to push the button to get the magazine if there is any correlation.

Truthfully I have never understood the whole magazine catch issue, why some guns you have to push it in, sometimes you don't. Why I have heard to "force" it in and it will work from then on. ( I have never done it, I am gentle about insertions and don't slam it)
    Need a class with detailed pics on magazine catches, different types, how it holds the mag, ect.
    For stupid people like me. :)

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A knife doesn't have explosives inside it that can go off and project a bullet into you or others around you if you inadvetantly bump into it like your P3AT does. Put it in a proper pocket holster and your worries should go away and your safety increase immensely.

-Scott

10. :eek:

Plus what Scott said.........

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Oh, wait a minute, I forgot to say:

IN MY OPINION!

and fact.

-Scott

12. BradW

BradW New Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I thought about how safe it is but I don't see a problem using the clip only, If you try to pull the trigger through a pair of jeans it is pretty tough if do-able at all, seems like a holster would defeat the ability to get quick access but then different people have different habits, abilities and lifestyles that may affect the how they do things, safety is paramount but if I'm going to carry it I'm going to want access. It's much safer unloaded on my desk at home but it doesn't do me any good there. Are there holsters that don't hinder the ability to get your hands on it? I might need to look around alittle more. All good.
    Brad

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Any good pocket holster allows just as fast a draw as using the clip alone; do exactly what you are doing now but with the gun in the pocket holster before inserting into pocket and clipping over edge.   See the ongoing thread with pocket holsters right now.  And jeans are tough but the trigger can be pulled.  Dockers or running shorts are easy.  

-Scott

14. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I tried several and my favorite is the DeSantis Nemesis, for me it stays in the pocket (not on the gun) best when the gun is drawn. NONE of them hinder drawing or access at all.

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Any pocket holster is good as long as you can get your hand around most of the butt unhindered.
    Bunches of homemade ones on Ebay and some are top quality leather for cheap. Anything to break the outline and keep the trigger covered works as long as its not too bulky.