Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Northwood trigger over the weekend and went to my local indoor range. (http://beavercreekarmory.com)

Not a good trip - had 2 issues - I'll post the other one in Accessories.

I recommend the trigger after the range visit - not related to my issues.

As a carry piece, I try and shoot my PF9 one handed every time I go to the range. While shooting Left I kept getting failure to feed (F2F FTF) randomly. After a couple of mags, I found the magazine was not seated when I would have the problem. I'd get a couple in a row and then out. What I believe is going on is that the pad on my palm below the trigger finger, is getting just enough pressure on the mag release button to allow for an eject.

I had thought perhaps this issue was the ammo, this range requires you purchase from them - (they have reasonable prices consistent to what I find locally)

But, I didn't have the issue shooting righty.

Could it also be possible that I am shooting weak wristed lefty? I would expect to get stove pipe issues were that the case. I also didn't have the problem with an SW M&P 40, although that is a more massive, heavier gun.

Anyone have a thought or suggestion?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Seems like PF9s don't really stovepipe much when weak wristed. Mostly I've seen FTFeed and FTExtract. Like where the next round tried to feed into the first round...when ever even a little bit of the slide momentum gets bled off from a weak wrist.

Some PF9s don't seem very prone to this...others are picky.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Given that the pistol had no problems when shot strong-hand, it seems clear that you were likely limp wristing with the weak or off hand. Not a surprising result. Close attention to your off-hand shooting technique and lots of practice will probably fix that.

Jim R

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I never had a problem shooting mine either handed, had to really hold it very lightly to get it to fail, just holding it in the web of my hand and trigger finger. Then it would extract and eject, it just would'nt strip a new round.

the only feedind problems i had was while my mag was still dropping, after i got it taken care of mine was so reliable it was boring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the thread for the +1 extended mag yesterday - came home and looked at mine - contact fit.

I did some filing, on the rear mag cap, and the fit is better. I'll have to try next time at the range.

I did shoot my Smith lefty last night - no issues due limp wrist, no issues with failure to feed, extract. But I was thinking about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Righty Loosey -- this time

I saw the thread for the +1 extended mag yesterday - came home and looked at mine - contact fit.
I did some filing, on the rear mag cap, and the fit is better. I'll have to try next time at the range.
I did shoot my Smith lefty last night - no issues due limp wrist, no issues with failure to feed, extract. But I was thinking about it.

This time, shooting strong hand (right) - both hands on pistol - see the mag's are dropping out. Both an extended mag and a stock mag.

Had my shooting buddy try - no issues.

Tried off hand - left only - no issues.

At this point, I believe I need to have my gunsmith examine the mag release.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
Sounds like maybe when shooting right handed you are hitting the mag release.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like maybe when shooting right handed you are hitting the mag release.
This is what I was thinking from yesturday's outing. But, since I didn't do that on the previous trip??

I have been shooting SD most recently, so I can't say that didn't impact my grip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts