Left pocket carry problems with P3AT.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Doc_Mark, May 12, 2011.

1. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Greetings, All,

On the advice of a LEO friend of mine, I began carrying my P3AT in my left front pocket, and getting used to drawing and firing it left-handed. As my left eye is dominant, even though I'm a right hand shooter, this worked well for me, until lately. I've now found out that, for some reason, I keep accidentally engaging the magazine release button, which pops the mag out a tad!! Darn it!! I've now done this a half dozen times in the last couple of days, just cleaning house, chopping some wood, and doing normal stuff!!! This gun is too new for the spring to be weak, I'm thinking. Is this a common problem for left pocket carry of the P3AT? I've got it in a pocket holster that covers up that magazine button, but that does not seem to help in the least.

Your comments, suggestions, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated, as my little KelTec and I are good Friends, and I don't want to offend him by not carrying him anymore! ;) ;D Thanks, in advance, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Yes, I've found that this is also a problem for me. My suggestion? File or sand away about 1/32" of the magazine release button and see if it keeps happening. If it does, file away some more. I think that my thumb, at least, is fleshy enough to work even if the release was only barely above flush with the grip.

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I was carrying mine in my right rear pocket for a while, but kept finding the magazine hanging out a little ways.  It turns out when I sat down the magazine release was getting depressed by the chair I was sitting on.

I then also had a revelation about carrying it on my left side as that's probably better anyway for a BUG as I'm right handed.  I carry it in a holster with the magazine release facing my butt and the ejection port toward the chair I sit in.

The magazine has never been released carrying like this and I've been doing it for a few years now.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I carry left front pocket in a K&D bifold 2n1 defender holster. the "wallet" has the gun completely covered. I have clear brush, worked under tractors, etc and the "wallet" protects the gun well and prevvents hitting the mag release.

when walking in town, I do so with left hand in pocket so I feel the magazine to ensure it is still fully inserted.

5. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    You can cut/file the button down flush and use your thumb nail to depress the release too  ;)

6. BrazosJoe

BrazosJoe New Member

May 4, 2011
    I had the same problem and appreciate the ideas.

7. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yea i've had the same problem, think sometimes the mag pops loose from stuff bumping against your leg.

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    This is the best solution.
    Other then a pocket holster that covers the mag release with a hole for button clearance inside the holster

The P3AT is not an IPSC race gun anyway, so slam-bang mag changes are not necessary.

If you don't Get-R-Done with the 7 rounds in the gun, it's past time to duck & cover, where you can reload at your leisure.

It is also possible the plastic mag release is nearing the end of it's life, and is not engaging the slot in the mag fully.
    Might check into that too.

rc

9. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I had the same problem. I filed the release button down and it still works fine. Also you must hold the release button as you load a mag, if you do not you will shave the plastic catch and it will not stay locked in the mag. The plastic catches wear out real easy so you may want to order a few extra to keep on hand. They are somewhat easy to change, there is some great information on the site on how to do this.

10. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    I been carrying my P3AT in left pocket and have the same problem from time to time.

11. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I carry mine at work and also occasionally find the mag coming loose. It has become habit for me to check anytime I bump into something.

12. gsr

gsr Member

Sep 13, 2004
    When I ran into this problem, I found that the mag catch had worn out. A quick call to Kel Tec brought me a new one in the mail, and once installed, the problem was solved. :)

13. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    I lowered the profile of the magazine release on my P3AT, glad I did.
    I would rather know that the magazine is going to be in place when I need it, than have a quicker magazine change for a 2nd magazine that I'll likely not have with me anyway.

14. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    my high dollar holster:

[​IMG]

that has been in service since 11/08. Every day, all day.
    check out the little hole in the leather. that's all it takes.

15. ejs54

ejs54 New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm right handed and left eyed as well. My P3AT lives in my left back pocket. This way I am able to access it with my right hand if for some reason my left hand becomes disabled during a situation.

16. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Change out the plastic catch out for a metal one, and get a holster or modify yours to go around the catch so it won't push it.

17. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    A metal one would be great. I replaced mine and filed it down, no problems here.