Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with shooting the PLR 16 left handed with a forearm? Do the casings hit your right arm? Also does the dynamic deflector handle from KelTec work good? Does it throw the casings forward? And is it hard to install? Also would anyone help me with the differences between aluminum and composite forearms. Would the aluminum ones trap more heat? Thanks for any advice? Tom... You guys are great :)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I have shot it left handed. The cases did not hit me, but that may vary from gun to gun or ammo to ammo. Its very likely that I slightly altered my stance to get the cases away from me, which I just do naturally now after years of right handed guns. Not sure what to say here.... do other pistols hit you with the brass or was this a concern with the type of grip you wanted to use? Your support arm is under the gun, I do not see how you could hit it with the brass which goes out the side with a fair velocity --- it does not typically eject anything approximating "downwards".

I have the standard gun, and did not try the deflector.

All I can say is that aluminum is used in a lot of computer heat sinks. Plastic is not. I would think aluminum would run the gun cooler than plastics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
the charging handle is removed every time you clean it, so no. just replace it. super simple.

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
The PLR-16 ejection isn't very predictable IMO, but it's generally out the side. I don't see how the ejection would be a problem with your right support hand when shooting left handed, and I don't remember anyone mentioning that as a problem in this forum.

I made a cheesy video that shows PLR-16 ejection, so you can see for yourself.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnouqeQPUQo[/ame]

I'd agree that in general, for the forend, aluminum would be a much better heat sink than plastic. A lot of the cooling is convection, so I'd guess that a well ventilated plastic forend would provide better cooling than a poorly ventilated aluminum heat sink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts