Left handed safety

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Wongstein, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Wongstein

Wongstein Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Hey folks, I did a search here and haven’t come up with an answer. Does anyone know if the safety is reversible for left handed shooters? Or if there exists an aftermarket safety switch for lefties? Much faster to deactivate with thumb. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge

2. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I don't believe it is reversible, but I'm not the total expert.

Best of luck

3. ColdFire0200

ColdFire0200 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Based on what I've seen (I've replaced trigger assembly with Mcarbo parts) you cannot reverse the safety.

I wish they make the mag release reversible that seems to bother me much more.

4. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    It's a cross bolt safety. Why does it need to be reversed for a lefty? Aside from the fact that you'd have to alter the internals of the gun to change the way the safety functioned if reversed, how hard is it to remember which direction is safe vs fire? No matter which direction the the button is pushed, you still need to push it to the opposite direction. Push with trigger finger, push back with thumb.

Steve Saunders likes this.
  5. ColdFire0200

ColdFire0200 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Well I can argue that when you hold the gun with left hand, it would be more natural and faster to disengage the safety (fire ready) with the thumb. As for engaging the safety who cares.

Wongstein likes this.
  6. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I'm left handed. It's easier to disengage the safety with my trigger finger than to engage it with my thumb. Either way I have to shift my grip to activate it from either direction - big hands.

Wongstein likes this.
  7. Wongstein

Wongstein Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I can reach the safety with my left thumb easily and quicker without changing my grip, and I’m sure it’s mechanically easily achievable, but having thought about it some more there’s a very good reason this doesn’t exist.

If I reverse the push-button safety on my gun, and a right handed shooter who is otherwise familiar with the Sub2K gets ahold of it, it’s a recipe for disaster. Not true for guns with toggle safeties, like 1911s etc, but in this case I realize now it was a bad idea :)

8. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    If we were talking about a paddle lever type safety like on a AR, I could see where being able to reverse it makes sense (though I'll take an ambi-safety over single side any day). It's kind of a moot point with a cross bolt safety - it's mostly ambi to begin with. Any disadvantages to a cross bolt can be mitigated with practice and knowing your gun. Especially if you plan to use it for SD/HD.

If there's one thing we lefties have had to get good at when it comes to guns is learning to adapt and overcome (two things?) in a right-handed world.

Wongstein likes this.