Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to empty the magazine occasionally to decompress the spring? The thought occurred to me this morning that it might be a good idea from time to time to unload the magazine for 12-24 hours instead of having a fully compressed spring all the time. Would this routine help keep the magazine operating more efficiently than it would if always fully loaded?

I don't know enough to have an opinion; just wondered if those with a lot of knowledge have one. It wouldn't cause me much trouble because my circumstances don't allow me to carry a weapon during work and that would be the time I'd unload.

If it is a better option, how often should I do it, and for how long do I need to leave the pressure off the spring before loading again?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The only problem is - you will get several different opinions about mag springs.

In the past I always down loaded the magazine before I stored it - take 1 cartridge out.

Then based on some advise on this board - I changed and left them 100% full.

That was a  few months ago - and the last time I was at the range I had several failures.  Two of the problems (different guns) were magazine problems - because when I switched out the mag that was being stored 100% full - to one that was stored empty - the problems goes away (on both guns).

It is  possible it is just a pure coincidence -

No need to completely unload them (IMO) - but from now on I will be going back to my old system - take 1 cartridge out before I store the magazine.

Go to this site - http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/1ndex_menu2NOF.html and look in the FAQ section.

Here is a taste.

5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?  

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It's an ongoing debate. The advice most go by these days is that compressing and uncompressing the spring, i.e. loading & unloading is what fatigues them.
"Resting" the springs doesn't help them. Most folks leave them loaded these days.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
NO! Shooting (or loading and unloading) is what wears mag springs. Leaving them loaded or unloaded is a non-issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is the complete question and answer from the Wolf web site. Wolf is a well know company that makes many different springs for guns.

5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs.

Maybe they are just trying to sell more springs! But it seems pretty clear what the company that is in the spring business has to say on the subject.

G

·
I see no problem in changing magazine springs. They are not that costly and it is a debatable issue for sure. One can believe wolffs springs if they want, course we have to remember they are in the business to sell springs, but they probably are partially right to. One thing is for certain changing mag springs is not going to hurt anything and if you feel better by doing it, then do it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
G

·
TxCajun said:
I knew I had read that article somewhere. Course If I was a ammo mfg-er I would be telling everyone to shoot all ammo over 6 months old, because IT COULD BE GETTING OLD.. Most people have a reason for saying things. Maybe we change recoil springs to often to, but that is the nature of the beast so to say. We do alot of things to maybe prevent "things" from happening. That is a very good and convincing article though, Much better IMO than Wolff' answer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.