leaving gun in holster when not carrying

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hudispit, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i am new to this site and have the p3at. i am already learning a lot about it from this site. my question is it alright to keep it in the holster (uncle mikes) when i am not carrying it? will it eventually rust if it is stored in there? also i shot about 200 rounds or so out of it and the last time i cleaned it, there were a few aluminum shavings inside. is this just from breaking it in? i just used good gun oil for everything prior to knowing about grease on the rails and slides. i really love this gun.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Dry and oiled it won't rust.

I don't know if that holster is leather and I don't have any experience with leather but the question I'd ask is whether or not leather can wick moisture out of the air and put it next to the gun.

3. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
  4. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I've read somewhere that if you leave your gun in a leather holster it will attract moisture. I don't know if it's true, but to play it safe mines out of the holster as we speak. :cool:

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG, Hud

I have an uncle mikes and I leave my p3at in it most of the time. I keep my gun oiled and I live in a dry climate, no problems with rusting, although if you live in a humid area I would sure check it every day.

CK

6. KarlSG1

KarlSG1 New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you live in an excessively humid environment and do not use any form of climate control. I haven't settled on a holster for my P3AT yet, but I often carry other pistols in a Galco Royal Guard. It's a horse hide inside the waistband style holster. I prefer to keep the pistol in it's holster to retain the shape of the holster. I'm more concerned with the moisture from my body than I am with moisture in my air conditioned room. I do periodically wipe my weapons down with CLP.

Karl

7. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    I carry my PF9 in an Uncle Mike's every day all day. And at night it gets put in the safe still in the holster. The only time it comes out is when I clean it on the weekends or I shoot it. Never had any problems. ;-) You're all good!

8. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I like nylon holsters. I have a DeSantis NEMESIS pocket holster for my P3AT with the Armalaser. The footprint is awesome, even in the pocket of tight 501 jeans. They make them to fit without the laser too, put I love the laser. I ordered a PF-9 this week, and will carry in a Nemesis too.