Leather Holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Golf_Guy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Golf_Guy

Golf_Guy New Member

May 29, 2009
    New Kel-Tec p-3at owner. New Don Hume holster just arrived. Really like it but it feels stiff. Will it loosen up a little with use? What can I do to break it in. Any advise would be appreciated

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    put a movie in the dvd, push play, and mess with the thing.... Or just put a gun in it and put it in your pocket. Ever buy new boots? what did you do with them?
    BTW, welcome to KTOG. Are you a new kel-teker? got other guns? Carry front pocket or back?
    remember, shoot, clean, lube, repeat...
    have fun,
    Lop

3. Golf_Guy

Golf_Guy New Member

May 29, 2009
    Hey lop thanks for the advice. Yep new Kel-Tecker waiting for my ccl, should be here any day. Once it arrives I will carry in front right pocket. Being a noobe I really enjoy this forum and find it very informative. thanks to everyone

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    This worked for me on a leather holster for my Glock... Wrap the gun, unloaded of course, in one of those plastic bags you get from the grocery store. Wrap it several layers thick. Spray silicone into the holster and force the now tight fitting gun into the holster. After a few days the holster leather should be permanently streached.

Good luck...

5. Hikerman

Hikerman Member

Jun 5, 2009
    If the gun fits tight that will give way soon.............if the holster is stiff and hard to sit or walk with use mink oil or Horseman's Friend or Blac Rock leather conditioners.

6. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Greetings Hikerman. I have a Don Hume that's probably the same one you have. Great holster that I broke in just by carrying -- took a while, but it was worth it. FWIW I picked up a Nemesis for $7 in the Cave at Cabela's several months ago and it needed no breaki-in time, prints the same as the Don Hume, and stays in the pocket when drawing the pistol. I have some great leather holsters but the Nemesis is the one I reach for everyday. It's light, flexible, and, to me, more comfortable than leather. I especially like it in the hot months of summer. Sweat? Not a problem.

Good luck and welcome!

Regards,
    Lynnsky

7. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    As noted the leather will break in like a pair of shoes with some wear. Just make sure to only "play" with it by putting the gun in and out with GUN FULLY UNLOADED (no magazine and no shell in the pipe).

In the meantime until it gets broken in a bit, it will bulge more in the pocket than later ... so maybe this is the time to use it to get dates. ;D

8. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    In the meantime until it gets broken in a bit, it will bulge more in the pocket than later ... so maybe this is the time to use it to get dates.  ;D[/quote]

problem with that is they might say WOW IT`S SO LITTLE .. ;D

9. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

problem with that is they might say WOW IT`S SO LITTLE .. ;D[/quote]

Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you only faintly happy to see me. :-[ ::)

10. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I just picked up a Don Hume front pocket holster also. (I'm a new Tec owner.) I bought it as an impulse buy when I bought my new Tec yesterday. I don't like the front pocket carry, so I use this front pocket holster in my back pocket. It fits like a glove. I really like this holster, but may add a lazer, so this holster may not see any use soon.

Putting the holster in your back pocket for a day or two (two days on the left rear pocket and two days on the right rear pocket) will really help loosen up the leather a bit. It will make it much easier to wear in your front pocket if that's where you want to pocket carry.

I don't even notice it in my back pocket. It's thinner than my wallet. I just had to get used to carrying my wallet in my left rear pocket as opposed to my right rear pocket.