Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from my lack of posts I'm a new p3-at owner as of yesterday and I've been looking at posts and researching accessories all morning.

I'm definately going to find a Uncle Mikes pocket holster, size #1 and do the mod shown at http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/unclemikes.htm While that will get me started, I want a nice leather version of the same thing; A pocket holster with a magazine pouch.
I already searched quite a few suppliers but didn't find a single example. They all have the pouches separate.
Have you seen this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
toofastcomet said:
As you can see from my lack of posts I'm a new p3-at owner as of yesterday and I've been looking at posts and researching accessories all morning.

I'm definately going to find a Uncle Mikes pocket holster, size #1 and do the mod shown at http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/unclemikes.htm  While that will get me started, I want a nice leather version of the same thing; A pocket holster with a magazine pouch.
I already searched quite a few suppliers but didn't find a single example.  They all have the pouches separate.
Have you seen this?
http://www.kdholsters.com/pdp.shtml

That sounds like it fits your criteria.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
You are not likely to find anything similar that takes much less time. All of the good makers have some back log and turn around time. The "wait" is what your UM holster is for.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I kinda prefer keeping my spare mags where I can get too them with my off hand.

Hard to do a fast reload if you have to switch hands with the gun in order to fish a mag out of the same pocket the gun came out of, with your gun hand.
Before long, you start to resemble a street Juggler more then a Gun-Fighter!

Plus, it helps to spread the load around when you have the gun on one side and the spare mag and ammo on the other. A gun, holster, two mags and 12 - 13 rounds of .380 ammo in one pocket starts adding up.

Not knocking the combo holster design, but there are some advantages, and also some disadvantages to consider.

rcmodel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rcmodel said:
I kinda prefer keeping my spare mags where I can get too them with my off hand.

Hard to do a fast reload if you have to switch hands with the gun in order to fish a mag out of the same pocket the gun came out of, with your gun hand.
Before long, you start to resemble a street Juggler more then a Gun-Fighter!

Plus, it helps to spread the load around when you have the gun on one side and the spare mag and ammo on the other. A gun, holster, two mags and 12 - 13 rounds of .380 ammo in one pocket starts adding up.

Not knocking the combo holster design, but there are some advantages, and also some disadvantages to consider.

rcmodel
I was so sold on the idea of having a extra mag in a nice all-in-one leather package, it didn't occur to me should I actually need it, it would take some juggling to get to.
Still, it seems like a hastle to carry a separate mag, i already have a pocket cell phone, a phone on my belt, a knife, keys, wallet.
Good tip though, definately something to keep in mind before spending >$50.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wasn't sure if I'd like having the magazine pouch on a pocket holster so I bought this inexpensive nylon one -> Pocket Pal only $10 +$5 shipping from this site -> http://www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com/pocket_holster.html

For carrying in a pocket I find the magazine helps conceal it more but prevents wrapping my fingers around the grip when drawing it out. I prefer to carry it without the mag most of the time. It does make a great car holster and sits flat on top in my center console when not in my pocket. I ordered a grandfather oak holster which doesn't have a mag pouch for primary carry (if I like it).

http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html

·
Registered
430 Posts
The combination of having the gun and mag in one set up may not work for everyone. We realize that. There are folks who cannot dedicate more than one pocket to the carry of a pocket gun and magazine. And in those instances, this style of holster set up fills their needs.

Something to consider with carrying your extra mag in another pocket is how easily you can get that magazine out of the carrier it's in and ultimately into your gun. Most pocket mag carriers are going to require a two-handed effort. (Some require three hands because they're so dang tight. :p)

You can, to a great extent, overcome the extended effort through practice - be it from a separate mag carrier or a combo set up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I never carry a spare magazine - so I don't spend much practice time working on fast reloading.

I have started spending some time shooting with my left (weak side) hand. IMO this is a good idea & a good skill to have - just in case your strong side hand is hurt.

Seems like if you want to carry a spare magazine in the same holster as the gun - and if you carry strong side - you could do a drill where you combine weak side shooting and replacing the magazine. Switch the gun to your left hand - pull mag out of pocket with right - reload - shoot second magazine (or at least a couple rounds) with left hand.

The thing that would be hard to simulate would be getting shot a few times while you are fumbling around trying to replace a mag in the middle of a close quarters gun fight.

G

·
z71bill. IMO if I can't get the job done in 7 shots then I am definitely outta here. I like to have my pockets also avaialble for normal stuff to, u know like a set of extra spark plugs for my harley, my 40 key ,keyring. box of extra hearing aid batteriers, gps, so that I can find my way home when out in the woods or at the local tavern. These are all must items over a spare magazine. ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree k-man. I only have one pocket dedicated to carry, and prior to this I only carried my gun with no extra mag so for someone like me I get the bonus of an extra mag, and Im not any worse off than I was before. I could have thrown a mag in a different pocket, but I like knowing I could empty all my other pockets and not have conspicuous gun stuff in there. Worst case senario, I get robbed at gunpoint, go to pull out my wallet and a spare mag falls out...bad guy gets spooked and shoots me. I dont like mag holders that are not on a belt or a holster because as k-man said, they require 2 hands(or a armpit, elbow,ect...), and even though ackward if I ever needed to quick reload, I just fire till empty, drop the clip while switching to lefty, draw mag,load mag, pull back slide. Takes about 3 seconds to reload this way, and there are other ways as well. But I also agree that its not for everyone and in the end it all comes down to practice and being able use what ever set up you decide quickly and reliably.

·
Registered
357 Posts
jocko

Its hard to fault someone for wanting an extra magazine - they don't take up much space  & you never know what is going to happen.

But - I don't carry one -

If after (or before if I can) 7 shots  I can't find a way to get away from the fight - then I look at it this way - sad as it may be - my choice is to try and run and get shot in the back - or  go hand to hand.  If I had a spare mag my choices would be to run and get shot in the back, reload and get shot in the front or go hand to hand.  The getting shot in the front option always comes out #3.  The reason getting shot in the back is a better option is - I figure that hitting a moving target will be harder for the mugger than shooting me while I am standing 2 feet from them with my hand in my pocket tring to find that spare magazine.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
+1 z71bill. I totally agree with both of your posts. That is why prefer to carry a second gun available to either hand. I can draw the second gun at least as fast as I could access a spare magazine and with far less chance of a fatal fumble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.