Leap of faith

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Makarov_9x18, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Well....tomorrow begins my adventure with yet another handgun, the P3AT. Thanks to this forum I feel somewhat comfortable with my upcoming choice in self defense weapons, the .380. My Maks are too big for pocket carry and I desire something other than my lightweight Smith model 38 for that 'flat carry'. Although I wish it was in a 9x18 caliber, one of my Makarovs is in this .380 caliber and it seems to do OK...Will report back after I have put 200 rounds thru this newest addition. You guys rock! I would never have selected this manufacturer if it were not for this website. My success is yet to be proven but I am positive about my results...

jb :cool:

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Welcome! I am pretty new also. Went to the range today to sight in my Armalaser and had zilch problems. Mine has about 400-500 rounds through it by now and have worked out all the bugs I think. Love it, Hope you do also!! Tom :)

3. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome Makarov_9x18.
    If, and a big if, you have any questions or problems, ask here. Lots of helpful people and information.

wyo-man

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Go ahead and jump! If need be, we'll catch ya.
    If we miss, Kel-tec won't. :cool:

5. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Wecome Pard ...Great little gun,she just needs a little tlc,then she,ll treat you right...

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Welcome "Makarov"!
    I have owned 3 Makarovs from the late and unlamented D.D.R. and sold 2 of them. I would compare their recoil with that of the P3-AT. I also have a Polish P64 http://p64.proboards67.com/ in 9x18 that is extremely punishing to shoot, for me anyway. The P64 is pocket sized though and comes dehorned from the Radom factory. [​IMG] BTW, I sold the Maks not because of any fault with them but because I had no reason to keep more than one. I did consider buying one of the Bulgarian made .22 LR conversions http://makarov.com/cart/mak22con.htm from Makarov.com but was kinda put off by the price, and now it's too late as they're all gone and there aren't going to be any more. If the conversions had come with adjustable sights I woulda got one.

PshootR

7. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
      Great reply Tx.  :cool:  Welcome to the forum Makarov.

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome Makarov! Keep the faith even if you first ecounter issues with your P3AT. I had several with mine which were taken care of with a replacement extractor from Kel-Tec and a metal catch from a fellow KTOG. I hope you have none with yours but even if you do the gun is well worth the effort to get it up and running.

9. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    A man that likes Makarovs is always welcome. I've got 3 of them:

- East German
    - Bulgarian, military - unissued
    - Russian, commercial .380

10. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The only 9x18 I own is a CZ82 but I have to agree with you on the recoil. I was really surprised that such a relatively large handgun (at least for a 9x18 Makarov) had so much felt recoil. Compared to my 380's it's downright brutal. I still enjoy shooting it, it's an excellent firearm; especially for the $200 it costs to buy one nowadays. It's just very surprising that such a relatively small round can have so much kick. I really wish I could find a real Makarov though. I've had zero luck at local stores, online, or at shows. The people who buy Makarovs tend to hang onto them.

11. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    That's due to the blowback design of Maks and CZ-82s. The locked breech design of the P-3AT does not have as much felt recoil.

12. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Welcome and god luck with your new P3. I am sure you will learn to love your new pistol as many of us have. Before, I would go out without being armed. Since I got my P3...I am always armed ;)