Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and I'm wondering if any one has shot lead bullets through there gun. I have a man that makes lead bullets for us around here and gave me 50 rounds loaded with 2.2 bullseye powder, with 102 grn. bullet. This is only for target shooting. I have heard that some auto loaders you can't shoot lead bullets through them at all. Now the next thing. I have only had 30 rounds through my P3AT at this time. It has worked flawlessly at this time. If I can shoot these lead bullet rounds, should I wait till I get 200 -300 rounds of FMJ through it first. I figure that you all know what I can do and not do. I need your people. ---------- snaredog

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
If you trust the guy who reloaded them, there is no reason you can't shoot them in your P3AT.

On the otherhand, DO NOT judge whether your gun works correctly with them or not.

The 2.2 Bullseye / 102 grain bullet load seems pretty light, and may not function a new gun reliably.

Use only good factory ammo for function testing and deciding if your gun works as designed or not.

rcmodel

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm an avid reloader and have always had a rule to never shoot anyone elses reloads (even those of my good friends). I've broken my rule several times and regretted it. Once I had to whittle a wood dowel to drive a lodged bullet out of a S&W M-13 because my buddy dropped a powder charge. Reloading is something that tolerates no errors. Minor variations of powder charge, bullet seating depth, etc. can have major implications, especially in a lightweight gun like the KT. As for lead it will either feed or it won't, but it's a bitch to clean regardless. Also, Bullseye leave a lot of residue, especially in short barrelled guns. Best advice is to stick with factory ammo.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I kind of agree with you about shooting other peoples reloads. I would, and sometimes do, but I totally trust the guy (my lifetime shooting & reloading buddy) that reloaded it.

I don't agree with you about lead bullets and Bullseye being any worse to clean then anything else.

I have shot many thousands of rounds of lead bullet reloads through almost every caliber revolver, .45 ACP's .40 S&W's, 9mm Lugers, high-power rifles, and on and on through the years.

If the bullets are sized correctly, and the bullet lube is doing it's job, there should be no more barrel leading, or hard clean-up, then any other loads.

Take the .22 Long Rifle for instance. There is a lead bullet load, going way faster then most pistol rounds.
How often does the barrel lead up on your .22 rifle?

As for Bullseye, powder fouling is powder fouling. It's no harder to clean then any other powder.

rcmodel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you are saying about shooting someone else's reloads. I have reloaded for at least 25 years now myself, I'm very particular also on my reloads. I don't reload for other people either. I'm kind old fashion. I like to reload with a single RCBS press. has a head stamp on it at 1965. I do have a Lee progressive reloader that I reload 38's on for target shooting. But that takes out all of the fun. I do trust the guy on these loads. He also reloads for people that shoot on leagues also. They like his loads. I was doing some phone work for him tonight and when done I showed him my Bersa Thunder DLX and my new two week old P3AT and he gave me these rounds to try. I told him that before I would try them out, I was going to do a post on them and see if they are okay to shoot in the Kel-Tec. I'm even checking on Bersa Talk to see what they think about shooting them in the Bersa Thunder. I may be giving them back to him. I'm thinking they are loaded light, being 2.2 grs of bullseye. I could pick up just some bullets and reload myself. He sells lead bullets for 500 for $22.00 last time I bought 148 gr. 38's wad cutters and they shoot very good. I don't know what he sells 380's for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You everyone:
For getting back to me on this question. I have talked to the guy that loaded these up that gave them to me to try out. He said that If I would like to buy just the bullets my cost is $10.00 for 500. I have to see what reloading data he has on loads and powder for the 102 gr. bullet. I think these are light myself on powder. His answer was, that I'm shooting indoors and I don't need to be pushing them out at a high velocity at 15 -20 feet. Your only target shooting. I told him that I reloaded some FMJ / 95 gr. at 2.8 bullseye and they shot great and was very accurate at 15 feet and no FTE. They was more accurate than the WWB that I had shot earlier.
Thanks again for your impute.

·
Registered
89 Posts
....as a side bar...

most indoor ranges prohibit bullets with exposed lead bases(is that the proper term? base?). the concern is every time u fire one a little bit of lead(vapor, gas and/or dust...not sure which one) is released into the air and easily inhaled...

just something to think about...

·
Registered
89 Posts
thats interesting Scott...the two ranges here in Houston that I go to have the no exposed lead base "rule"...probably due to some local court case  :-/  lead can be pretty nasty stuff if it gets into your body...

one of the range owners & long time reloader is being treated for THREE types of cancer  :eek: he did not mention if it was business related before he started treatment...doesn't sound like he's going make-it  :(

·
Registered
357 Posts
I recall the first time I went to an indoor range (more like a cave) - the next day I could not stop coughing - from deep down in my lungs.

I found another range that has a better air vent system - don't like the air moving the paper target - but would rather have this problem.

Even if you shooting 100% jacketed bullets - the burned powder is still not good for your lungs.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
A huge number of police & civilian indoor ranges were closed years ago due to EPA regulations.

Locally, we built a multi-million dollar Law Enforcement Center with a state-of-the-art indoor range in the basement. Five years later it was closed by the EPA, and is now used for file storage.

Current EPA regs demand forced air flow from behind the firing point, on down-range, with a filtered exhaust system to outside air.

If an indoor range is still in business that doesn't meet these regulations, I am not sure how they are still getting away with it.

rcmodel

·
Registered
357 Posts
" not sure how they are still getting away with it"

I will guess no one has ever complained to EPA - its not in the best part of town - based on the shape of the building it was a movie theater -

The place rents machine guns - its scary being around when someone who does not know what they are doing blasts off 20 rounds on full auto - it gets away from them and they end up shooting into the ceiling.

I have talked with a few local LEO's and they claim that the range used by the police only allows fragible (spelling?) ammo - because of some EPA reg. It does not seem right - but who knows. They complain that the fragible stuff shoots to a different point of aim (compared to the ammo they carry) - so they don't like using their own range - except to quality - so they come to the public one to practice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a small update on the 380 acp reloads loaded at 2.2 gr. of Bullseye powder with 102 gr. lead bullet. I only had 50 rounds to try out. Like I said a small update. They shot good in my Bersa Thunder & Kel-Tec P-3AT. No problems at all. I was kinda weary about shotting 2.2 grs. of powder through both of them. Some people thought that it was a lite load. I was looking for the worst (FTE). I took the magazine and only put one in at a time for the first 5 rounds to see that the guns was going to function properly with that low powder charge. I didn't want any surprises. They both handled that low powder with no problem. They both shot flawlessly. The Kel-Tec was more accurate than the B.T. That surprised me some. But they both are pretty new yet. I have had 60 rounds through the P-3AT and 175 through the B.T. now. I don't want to wear them out to fast. Ha! Ha! Ha! Thank you everyone for getting back to me on the Lead Bullets. It is nice to have a group of people out there that is willing to help with any questions that we may have. --------------- Gary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.