Lazer sight

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vgilbertson, Jan 22, 2011.

1. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Went to a gun show today and saw a Crimson Trace lazer sight on a Ruger LCP, they make one for a the P3AT also. Expensive but was impressed with the pressure on buttom so it came on when you pull the wepon. Also fits the gun very well.

2. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Have had one on my P3AT for almost 2 years. Very well made and well worth the money.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Have an ArmaLaser on one of my P3ATs. I'm totally convinced of its value for training and practice. I can see an advantage of laser in a low light confrontation but, FOR ME, I think it could easily slow one down in getting a shot off in a confrontation in good lighting. Me, I'm afraid I'd be looking for a dot that is hard or impossible to see when I should be firing.

Bill K.

4. ansursvary

ansursvary New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    My P3AT came with a crimson trace. I like it for low light, as my old eyes can't pretend to get a sight picture except in bright light.

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Unfortunately it's true, in bright daylight at the range I can't see the dot over about 3 yds. At home in the house it is great, and seems that's where you might need it during a break in.
    The battery they had to use in this compact unit doesn't last too long either.
    Otherwise a fine product.

YMMV!!

og

6. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    BillK said it all. When it comes to personal choice on just about anything, if you want to do it and it does not infringe on anyone else and is not illegal--have at it. A laser on a 3AT for anything other than training or practice or just plain fun and having another gadget you can play with is fine with me. IMO, however, as BillK said, when you are in a "situation" and start looking for your laser, you are losing precious parts of second that point shoot does not. Isn't point shoot close up really why you CC such a firearm? It sure is not for competitive target shooting, even at close range. Even Keltec recognizes this by providing you with a firearm that essentially has no "real" sights.

7. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Are you more apt to be assaulted at 11am or 11pm? I have a Armalaser on mine for low light conditions. But I also train at a indoor range shooting with the laser and not using the laser. You must be aware of your environment and practice all situations so it becomes second nature.

8. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have a Crimson Trace on mine. It is worthless in bright sunlight for sure. It does help me fire more accurately any other time though. I just like to have any edge I can get if I have to use my weapon. It adds very little bulk to the P3AT. I can comfortably carry my P3AT to work everyday. I can't always do that with my other pistols. Well worth the investment to me!

Craig

9. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Other than what has already been said, I have the small block armalaser on my P3 and it helps with breaking up the "printing" of the gun while in the holster when I am using front pocket carry.

It is a good piece of equipment with a superior warranty.

10. dawger

dawger New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I have a armalaser on mine and it seems to do good in lower light. It works good for me.

11. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Why would you put a laser sight on a sub compact? The P3at is made to be a small pocket carry. With that being said the P3 is made for 7 yards or less and if you shoot someone farther than that your going downtown. I can hit a paper plate from 7 yards in the dark 5 out of 7 shots. So I ask is it just the cool factor or is there some function.

12. geicogecko

geicogecko New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Don't all guns have laser-guided bullets?

13. riese

riese New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    I have a CT on my P3 and train with it quite often. I find that from holster (Pocket) I get my first shot off prior to seeing the laser. Despite this if indoors or low light my follow-up shots are helped by the laser. It also helps my follow-up shots when doing drills with my support hand. I don't need it however why not use anything you can to your advantage (without using it as a crutch.) As always YMMV.

14. orangehole

orangehole Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I try to put laser grips on all of my carry pistols. On my P3AT I use an Armalaser. People tell you not to rely on lasers but its hard not to especially with a point and shoot type fiream like the P3AT. The sights are a joke.

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    If I were able to do as this gent does then my major objection to a laser on my carry guns would nullified. Unfortunately I know I'd not be able to do that without a whole lot of conditioning; I'd be looking for that dot. Think this technique would also slow down my double taps - again for the reason of the time, albeit however short, to look for and see the dot for the second shot. Maybe not so much with the P3AT because of its long reset but certainly with my Glock 26. Just my thoughts here, not suggesting it is gospel.

Bill K.

16. robin.kevin

robin.kevin Guest

I would love to have one on my carry sidearm, but too expensive.

Also here is the other problem I have with them. I tend to see a lot of people become dependent on them. They are better suited for a training/extra confidence tool. When SHTF I think its still important people practice bring the pistol up and drawing a sight picture on the target, that way when the laser sight is dead from being on in your pocket with out you knowing, or simply cant be seen for one or another reason you still are using your sights to make your shot count.

With that being said, still a great tool and any edge you have in combat helps!