Layout tweak Jan 2 08

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by Syndil, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    I just noticed the gun specific forums have been re-arranged a bit which is no big, but the super long description under each heading is making things a bit cluttered on my screen anyway.

2. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Actually I just noticed the 2 new forums... maybe that's what I'm seeing. Did the descriptions on the other forums change or have they always been that thorough?

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There were no descriptions at all in the gun forums although the other forums had them.  If  you look at the KT web-site, you'll see that they were hightly edited down in size.  Just the basics, so to speak.  Adding the 2 new forums did lengthen the page.  Geez...  stop surfing the net on your cell phone.  ;D

4. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I also noticed it takes a little longer to scroll from the top to the bottom of the main forum page. Maybe you can cut the gun descriptions down to one line, or make the description text much smaller, so it doesn't take as much vertical space.

Ideally would be if the descriptions only poped up during a mouseover, but I'm not sure if the forum can do that.

At first I though combining the PLR-22 and SU-22 into one topic might be in order, and it still may. They are functionally identical, only the barrel and stock is different, (bolt carrier assembly is identical) so something that applies to the PLR-22 would probably apply to the SU-22. (like ammo that works well, or how to clean it)....Now would be the time to do it, before they have lots of threads in them. It would also keep the main page a little leaner too.

5. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    PS

And I was just getting used to the SUB2000 being at the bottom. ;)

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Although there may be possible code modifications to the forum to allow it, there is no obvious way to make the font in that  particular section smaller or larger, but I'll look.  Nor is there a way to make text appear only when you hoover over an area.  I could edit down the gun descriptions to make the page a little shorter, but you will still not see the whole page.  

I visit other forums that have a LOT more "rooms" than ktog and their front (index) pages are longer than ours requiring more scrolling to see everything.  We have also added several forums in the past year or two, including the PLR, PF9, RFB, KTOG Goes Local and KTOG Postal Match.  Now we have two more.  It's not my fault that Keltec keeps developing new guns.  ;D

We could put the PLR-22 and the SU-22 in with their respective parent guns, much like the P11/40/357.  We could also put them in one forum together, but that would be like having the PLR and SU in the same forum.  It seems to me that they should have their own rooms as they are different guns (pistol & rifle) with different accessories and configurations.  Personally, I think it's fine that KTOG is growing along with the Kel-tec line.  As I mentioned in a different thread, I have also been considering a Kel-tec specific Ballistics Forum where we could share chrono results, gelatin/water jug/wet-pack testing and related information.  That too would make the KTOG index page a little longer, but hey...  like they say with large women...  more to love.  :D          

7. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    yea, there are benefits to keeping the SU22 and PLR22 seperate. Maybe just re-arranging it so the 22's are next to each other and the 16's are next to each other, instead of PLR-16 next to PLR-22...sure they look alike, but functionally they are very different.

something like this:

SUB2000
    PLR-22
    SU-22
    PLR-16
    SU-16
    RFB

I find it strange that the SUB200 is currently right in the middle of the SU/PLR group, though it kind if fits if you are going in size order.

8. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    The Sub2000 is not and never will be at the bottom!!!  Hmmph!!  :eek:

:p

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Toby - I just put the newbies under their respective parents and used the subbie to seperate the two pairs. No other particular logic was employed. And of course the RFB was the anchor. Reordering forums is easy to do. I can play hide the subbies from CJ (3wbdriver). ;D

10. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
  11. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    If "hide the subbie" is anything like "hide the sausage" I don't want to have anything to do with that. What you do on your free time is no buisness of mine :eek:

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey, we might be shooting buddies but we're not really that close. :D

13. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    How about if we placed the self defense hanguns (PF-9, P-11, P-40/357, P3-AT/P-32) in one section, with each of the above representing a separate sub-category, and the rifles and sporting/plinking/hunting pistols in another section with sub-categories for Sub-2000/Sub9, Su-16/PLR, SU-22/PLR-22 and RFB?

PshootR

14. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    FWIW and, even with inflation that's NTDM, if I just came across this forum, I would find the additional info on each firearm very useful.  

Regards,
    Lynnsky

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Lynnsky: That's what I was thinking.  The brief discriptions should be useful to newbies and lurkers (potential members) and save a few really needless questions, etc.  

PshootR:  I think what you suggested is pretty much what we have now...  SD weapons on top working down through the others ending with the RFB.

I think anytime you have change, it takes a while to get used to, just like when we switched over to yabb2, a few folks didn't like the way this forum "looked", etc.  We are creatures of habit.  :)