Last round hold open

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by subsonix, Aug 30, 2009.

1. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    My P3AT has a last round hold open!

Well, not really. Ever since I installed Dave's metal mag catch, I am noticing that the mag follower will hold the slide open! This only happens if I ease the slide closed. It does not do it while firing the last round, or if you slingshot it closed with an empty mag. I can't take any pics since my wifie is out of town and has it with her.

I just noticed it today while out shooting since I don't have an empty clip in it very often. But empty clips is about all I have these days for my .380s. No freakin ammo! I am down to half a box of corbon and zero practice ammo. This sucks. I'm glad I had a little stored, but it's gone now.   :'(

I'm not worried about it too much, but wondered if anybody else has noticed that happening with their P3AT, with or without a metal catch. The worst that could happen would be a broken empty mag, possibly lodging a piece of follower in the breech. Makes no difference to me since I don't carry a spare mag, anyways. If I'm empty and the zombie is still coming, I'm just going to chuck my pistol at it and RunLikeHell !

BTW, this is not a DaveNC bashing post and I am not complaining. I need to send Dave some more money, I just need another P3AT first.  ;) I am extremely pleased with his work!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the mag follower getting impacted from the closing slide is what does the damage to the plastic followers. In the compact design of the P3s, this is going to happen and thus the reason some wanted a metal follower. my remediy is to not fire the last round that chambers and do my reload with a loaded gun.

filing the top recesses on the sides to allow the follower to come up a little higher on an empty mag would be a cheap slide hold open. to prevent a slide catch, the concave in the follower can be filed down or just the end radius

3. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    So is this issue only when the metal mag release is installed? If so... that sucks. I wanted one of those. I'm not sure I can count my shots every time I go shooting either (that doesn't sound fun).

4. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    It isn't that big of a deal, WesKCMO. I only noticed it after installing the release, but it could have been like that since it was new. I don't normally ease the slide closed on an empty magazine, so it could have been like that before, I dunno.

You can't go wrong with one of Dave's releases!

I'm going to try another mag and see what happens. It BARELY catches the slide. A simple chamfer on the follower and/or slide would alleviate the problem, but I'm not that worried about it right now. I was just looking for feedback in case anyone has heard of this causing a real problem.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have had no wear or damage done to the follower in any of my three mags. There is no sign of contact with slide whatsoever. Is this something new? Or am I just one of the lucky ones? I thought mag follower wear was limited to the PF-9.

6. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    some pics of the problem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking of slightly chamfering the slide here.

[​IMG]

It shouldn't affect loading since the slide catches the next round quite a bit higher than that. Can anyone see a problem with chamfering that edge?

7. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    What subsonix is seeing has absolutely nothing to do with the mag release whether it's a plastic or metal one. The mag is held tight to the bottom of the grip with both releases regardless. Just think about it a bit. You can only push the mag into the grip so far until it bottoms out.

8. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Subsonix,
    I see you have the +1 extension. Check that you installed the mag spring in the correct position. The mag spring should be facing forward. If the spring is reversed it will cause the rear part of the follower to ride higher then it should. The higher or pointed part of the spring should be facing the muzzle. I checked my P3 and that's the first thing I noticed. Mag springs can be installed wrong.

9. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    thanks for clearing that up Dave. I will be contacting you for one of your releases.

10. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Hi Dave!

My spring is installed right.

I am going to try a factory mag today if I get a chance to go by my LGS. Kinda busy at work (thank goodness).

It's starting to wear the follower now.