Lasers

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by iaminsider, Nov 24, 2010.

1. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Now to start off I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. I am new and still getting used to your forums.

I am looking for reccomendations on lasers. I am aware of the Armalaser and Crimson Trace.

Can someone give me the pros and cons to each? Which would you suggest?

2. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Welcome aboard. Im new as well, However have been reading up on this forum and keltecs for a year or two atleast now. Just made the plunge, And let one follow me home from a gunshow last weekend (And already planning the color combo of my next one!).

From what ive seen, Arma laser and CT are the two main ones. I own a CT on a model 35 glock and love it to death, However from what ive read on here and other places it takes up too much of the small grip of the P3AT, and rubs / pinches your finger. Also, If you have a Hogue slip on grip [Highly recommended], You will have to modify the area where the button is, and it will be hard to slip on.

Ive also read the Arma laser is ROCK solid, Stays Zero'd and comes with a nemisis holster for $125 shipped to your door, And dont take up any grip space. Thats personally the way im planning to go. I would however like to know how it turn's on / off?

Not knocking the CT at all, I love them and own them, Just not for this one.

3. gsr

gsr Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I have had both, and I prefer the Crimson Trace, mainly because of the switch.

4. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Thank you for the welcome. I bought my P3AT about 6 months ago and havnt actually had a chance to shoot it much. I am planning on doing carry which is why I purchased it.

How does the Armalaser turn on work?

5. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Would you consider your hands big, average or small? Also do you carry with a certain magazine extension? How do you feel about the space the switch takes up on the grip?

Sorry for piling the questions on ya, But inquiring minds would like to know!

6. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I personally have bear paws (fat hands with short fingers). So I am not sure if I want something added to the grip. Although I did jsut order the 9 rd mag.

7. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I own a 9 rounder, And while it will be a great range addition, It defeats the purpose of why i bought the p3AT. Just too big for pocket carry.

8. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    that makes sense. I dont plan to pocket carry. I am planning on small of the back IWB carry.

9. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I don't have either laser so I can't offer anything on the pros or cons.

I would be careful on relying on any kind of laser, they can all fail when you need them. Make sure you practice shooting with and without the laser. Also don't let the laser slow you down looking for the "perfect" shot. I'm not trying to say they don't have their use just make sure you don't use it in place of good shooting skill and frequent practice.

Also small of back carry can lead to back injury if you fall on your back.

I'm really not trying to be negative, just offering some advice.

Welcome to KTOG.

CJ

10. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Thank you for the insight.

11. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have had an ArmaLaser on my P-3AT since the Armalaser first came out. It is great and so is ArmaLaser's customer service.
    The ArmaLaser turns on by an electronic sensor that senses your finger as it enters the trigger guard. It automatically shuts off after 12 seconds unless you reactivate the sensor. It is always in standby mode ready for activation unless you deactivate it completely by switching a separate on/off switch located on the bottom.

I was concerned as to whether the sensor switch was a good idea until I started using it - it is great!

As an aside...
    Lasers that only require a squeeze during your natural grip such as the Crimson Trace Grips, Crimson Trace Laserguard, and the ArmaLasers with trigger finger proximity switches are the best choice for civilian self-defense purposes.

The type of laser that has a slide switch or button that must be turned on by a separate deliberate function may be OK for law enforcement and combat situations where you may have time to "light up" before you act, but for civilian self-defense purposes it can be a big detriment. The turn on step can lose you valuable time and can also cause you to flub the draw.

Bobo

12. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Seriously it is activated by a sensor? Have you ever had it turn off too soon?

13. JimboM

JimboM New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    I have had an ArmaLaser on mine for more than a year.  I carry in a front pocket with a DeSantis holster.  It prints just like a wallet. The sensor picks up the proximity of your trigger finger and activates the laser.  Mine has been very reliable.  The laser stays lit until you remove your trigger finger.  There is a few seconds delay before it shuts down.  

I don't know how it works, but it acts like an electrical capacitor.  The proximity of your finger tugs a few electrons around on the sensor and some circuitry senses the potential change and lights the laser.  That is just a guess.  Mine works every time.  I would buy ArmaLaser in the future.    

I have not tried the other brands.  They probably work well also.

14. USMCTimmy6216

USMCTimmy6216 New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Havelock NC
    i have large hands and fingers so when i got my p3at i was a bit leery of lasers.

then i got the CT and i LOVE it. it doesnt effect carry at all, the switch is not in a bad spot. i have the 9 rounders in usually but i have a stock 6 round mag for other situations, and this laser doesnt interfere at all.

to each their own i suppose :D

15. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I do appreciate everyones take on this. It is making my decision a difficult one.

16. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Seriously it is activated by a sensor? Have you ever had it turn off too soon?[/quote]
    Yes. it is a sensor and no, it has never turned off too soon.
    Interestingly, just the opposite happens when the batteries begin to get weak - it tends to stay on longer rather than shut off after 12 seconds - pretty neat!
    Note also that the newest model from ArmaLaser, the Stingray don't have sensors, it has a short-throw switch.

Bobo

17. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

Another vote for the CT. I've been running one for almost 3 years and it's still holding zero. It's in my front pocket every day except for an occasional switch to or addition of something bigger on some weekends!

The CT fits so closely around the trigger guard it doesn't seem to take up any room on the grip to me, and my slip on grip is stretched to fit slightly under the CT so it stays put. It is an intuitive switch that is on as soon as you grip the pistol naturally, and off again as soon as you let go. Still on the same original set of batteries and working fine. Perfect fit for me when I can't carry the XD-45.  :cool:
    [​IMG]

Can't say about the the Armalaser, other than what I've read here about it is positive.

18. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I think I have decied to go with an Armalaser just for the fit and feel of the grip not being changed (added button).

Does anyone know of a site besides armalaser directly that may sell them at a better price? Not complaing about the price, I just like to get the best deal I can.

19. droshi

droshi New Member

Nov 29, 2010
  20. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I have decided to go the Arma laser route eventually as well. I like the advantage of the sensor, over the bulky button on this small framed gun [Not saying its huge, But any grip loss is painful to me, And im a small guy. Just my opinion tho, not knocking ct at all.].

However, For those times i dont wanna use the laser, yet wanna use the nemisis, How does the gun fit in the laser nemisis, Without the laser installed?

Badman, I noticed in the pic, Your handall JR touches the baseplate of the mag. Does it still drop free? Also, does your +1 lock into place, or move back and forth on the mag?