Lasers on the P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mxitman, Mar 4, 2009.

1. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Hi, Just wondering how many people have a laser on their P3AT? Do you plan on getting the new Crimson trace grips? It's just a pretty much point and shoot gun but I figured with a smaller laser it would be much easier at night to use. What you guys think?

Added 3/5/09;

The reason I'm asking the interest is to see if I should go ahead with making a new laser design that I have made for my P3AT. I always cringed at paying $100+ for a laser for my little pocket pistol. I have a small company and I make and sell some little gadgets.

I made a small laser for my P3AT for about $40 last year, I figure if I buy in bulk and do most the manufacturing and packaging myself I could come up with a laser package for $35-$50 delivered. I think more people would be interested in a laser if it's less than half the price of the others, and around the cost of 2 boxes of carry ammo.

I know you guys will be asking for pics but until I have a final model made then I won't be posting any pictures. I was the first and only one I know of so far that has added tritium Night Sights to a 2nd Generation P3AT.

2. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I have had my CT for just over a year, love it.
    Norton

3. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I've had the CT laser on my P3 for about 6 months and I love it too. Greatly increases accuracy, low light target acquisition and reacquiring target. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I happen to think the armalaser is a better design than the CT, but regardless of whatever design fits your tastes best having a laser is a great addition to a CCW.

-Scott

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I really like my ArmaLaser a lot!!!

Here's why:
    1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). This is not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

This is my review on the ArmaLaser:
    http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4522

Bobo

6. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It had seemed to me that a laser on a small carry gun was somewhat superfluous. The likely engagement range would be so short that there would be no added benefit.

From the responses above I'll revisit my decision. Thanks for the discussion.

7. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Got CT lasers on P3AT and P32, for all the reasons BOBO said plus when practicing with snap caps, you can see what happens when you pull the trigger, if you jerk the shot off target, or squeeze and stay on target. Helps to understand your habits and patterns. Jim <><

8. Bunker

Bunker New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have the CTC... It's great, even though it almost doubled the cost of my P3AT! It does change the "feel" in your hand though, so you should try before you buy.. The intimidation factor may be the biggest advantage, but not needing to squint to try and see the P3's sights when you DO need to fire in an self-defense emergency was my tipping point..

9. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i know what i am going to say will make some mad. to me a laser on a p3at is a waste of money. a laser on any pistol that is used for carry is a waste of money. lasers work well shooting paper at the range and works well on tv and in the movies. the p3at is a "point and shoot" gun not a target gun. when it "hits the fan" you will not have time to pickup the red dot, you will not have time to pickup the sights, you will "point and shoot". i would spend the money on ammo.

10. 3AXBAT

3AXBAT New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Bobo, So why an Armalaser over a Crimson Trace? I haven't owned a CT, but I've handled several. No one's carried an Armalaser onto the range while I've been there.

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Please use the

[​IMG]

before you try to revive this dead horse. This topic has honestly been beaten to death and there are lots of pros and cons of each in previous threads.

-Scott

12. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no reason to get mad. To me, not even making some attempt to aim the gun is a waste of ammo and a reckless endangerment to possible bystanders.

13. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Moved this to top as well;

The reason I'm asking the interest is to see if I should go ahead with making a new laser design that I have made for my P3AT. I always cringed at paying $100+ for a laser for my little pocket pistol. I have a small company and I make and sell some little gadgets.

I made a small laser for my P3AT for about $40 last year, I figure if I buy in bulk and do most the manufacturing and packaging myself I could come up with a laser package for $35-$50 delivered. I think more people would be interested in a laser if it's less than half the price of the others, and around the cost of 2 boxes of carry ammo.

I know you guys will be asking for pics but until I have a final model made then I won't be posting any pictures. I was the first and only one I know of so far that has added Tritium Night Sights to a 2nd Generation P3AT.

14. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I have an Armalaser and am pleased with it. When you are quick drawing and firing point and shoot, it allows you to fire before having to try to do any sighting in with a much greater accuracy. The only thing I hate about having an Armalaser is the very limited choice in holsters. Most holsters are made for naked P3ATs. For instance, I have yet to find a IWB or OWB holster for <$30. The only things I can find in these are $50+ leather ones, which for only occasional carry using those holsters, is simply more than I am willing to pay.

15. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    my laser design should allow the use of most holsters and the belt clip. I have tried 3 holsters with mine, the in pocket holster, ankle holster and a strong side owb holster. It works in all 3 of them.

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I am sure a lot of people would be interested but before you can gauge that I think we would need to have some ideas of what you are talking about. I can't personally picture how you could make one for a P3AT (at any cost) that wouldn't require modifying a holster but I am all ears if you can. Give us some details, or pics or something that we can grasp our minds around or I am betting many will not take you seriously.

-Scott

17. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    I bought the ArmaLaser long before the CT was available. I have been very pleased with the ArmaLaser and have never had a reason to switch to the CT. In my limited opinion, they are both we'll designed and manufactured, and both have a great reputation for function and service.
    They each have their Pros and Cons, but over-all they are about equal.

The main differences (Pros/Cons) are...
    The CT is smaller.
    The AL has twice the battery power.
    The CT has a manual switch.
    The AL has a proximity switch.
    The AL has a "trade-up" option.

Bobo

18. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    I believe a smaller unit with a much smaller price would a very attractive alternative as long as the battery life was good, it could be easily and quickly deployed, and the unit was accurate and robust enough for its intended use.

I personally would probably not give up my ArmaLaser since I already have it and am very pleased with it. But I certainly would consider other options for future gun/sight combinations.

Bobo

19. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I have never heard of even one person who regretted buying the CT laser, or even had buyers remorse for the price. I paid around $180 and it was worth every penny. Only people without one say they have no benefit. That said, if you could develop something similar for $100 or less you might find quite a few takers.