Laser Sights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by will919, Dec 10, 2009.

1. will919

will919 Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Michigan
    Those of you who use any laser sight system, do you think they are worth the investment? Im sorry if the question is redundant

Bill

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

This is one of those questions that has been debated a lot. I happen to belong to the group that favors them. Lots of pros and cons. Being able to get on target in a low light situation is a big pro to my thinking.

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I personally dont have one, but I do want one. Another big advantage I see with them is when shooting from behind cover, you dont have to expose nearly as much of your self, because you dont have to look down the sights. One thing i think is VERY important though is to practice regularly WITHOUT the laser. Never practicing with out it could put you in a bad situation if it goes out on you in the heat of the moment.

4. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I bought an Armalaser, and love it! And at $125 with shipping included, and a free Desantis holser, you can't beat it, IMHO!!!! WELL worth the $125!!!!!

Gets you on target fast, and really tightens up the groups. A big thumbs up here! :cool:

5. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    with the sights virtually non existent and the hopelessly short sight radius...

if you are carring it for SD unless you are close enough to stick it in the BG nose

i wouldnt want to shoot one with out it... especially in an environment with other people around.

i use the crimson trace... it actually amazed me to find out just how tight these lil poppers

can shoot a group at up to 15 yards. :eek:

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I would like to add, as far as the nearly nonexistant sights on these guns (a statement I fully agree with) a little paint goes a LONG way in helping with that.

7. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    The laser sights are such a temptation to play with when first installed....you will run your batteries low very quickly...make sure you keep fresh batteries installed.  I use a snap cap and practice dry firing using the laser. That wandering light can reveal a lot about your technique.

I am not selling anything here but if you want to improve the iron sights check out FAQS & VIP............ HIVIZ for P-3AT

8. will919

will919 Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the info...Tis appreciated
    Bill

9. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    iron!? ;D ;D ;D you funny guy !!!! ;D ;D ;D

10. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I'm with Tweed on this! ;)

11. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I have the Crimson Trace Laser on mine and I love it!

12. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I really like my ArmaLaser a lot!!!

Here's why:
    1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). Not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

This is my review on the ArmaLaser:
    http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4522

To those detractors that haven't actually tried it, all I can say is - "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it"!

Bobo

13. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have a CT on mine. I love it!

Craig

14. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I have CT on my LCP (which is virutally identical to the P-3AT) and I have a 3AT without. I do like the CT to bring up a quick site picture at the range, but I find myself carrying the 3AT without the CT most of the time as I sort of feel that in a real defensive situation... seven yard point and shoot without siting ...that I may delay in pulling the trigger trying to see where the laser is pointed?

However, I try to figure if this is logical or just another one of those "differenent" feelings that I need to get used to.

As has been discussed, I wish the CT had a "master switch" both for this purpose and because I've gone through batteries by the pressure switch getting depressed in storage.

15. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I have a P3AT with one, a P3AT without one, Diamondback DB380 without one, and a Kahr P380 without one. I put the CT on my first keltec and liked it alot, especially for awkward shots like some other guys have spoken of. However, I don't plan to put any on my other three .380's because of cost and I don't really like the CT activation on the grip for some reason. My P3AT is too small for my hand to begin with, and I find myself holding that gun differently to get the sight to activate, and I don't shoot as well with that particular gun. It definitely is nice in low light or the dark. I could shoot in the house in the pitch black and see great. Like I said, I own guns with both configurations, and have mixed feelings myself.

16. Chopper

Chopper New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I have the CT on my P3AT and love it. I was opposed to the idea of a laser at first but then thought it better to have and not need it than need it and not have it.
       I use snap caps for triger staging practice. I'll work on my point shooting as well by pointing at an object in the garage then activating the laser to see if I'm on target.
       I installed finger extensions on my magazines to aid with the grip issue caused by the CT activation button.

17. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I've got an ArmaLaser on my practice/training P3AT but no laser on my carry P3AT. I'm totally convinced of the benefits of a laser for training and practice but am on the fence concerning its pluses over minuses for a carry gun.

Take care...

18. will919

will919 Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Michigan
    I think I will try the Armalaser. Based on price and folks who own them seem pretty satisfied.
    Bill

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Never understood the arguments against having a laser when it is simply one more tool you CAN have at your disposal. Equipping a laser should not replace proper training using the integral sights on the weapon or point shooting without the laser, for that matter. But if the laser weighs a mere ounce or two and does not adversely affect your ability to grip the firearm properly, then the question become not "WHY?" but "WHY NOT?".

I lase-up every firearm I carry as a primary. I won't even consider a firearm platform if it is incapable of being equipped with a laser sight.

Just my preferences.

20. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Only reason I can see against it is the issue of the CT affecting the grip on the P3AT. On a larger gun, where the grip wouldn't be an issue, I cant really see any reason against it.