Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a P3 in the near future due to the issues surrounding the PF-9's release. I have been searching the holsters that are available for hte p-3AT and so far i have only found leather holsters. I am wondering if there are any kydex holsters available out there that i just havent stumbled upon yet. I would like the kydex over the leather because i am planning on carrying this IWB and I like having a material that doesnt absorb sweat or any other liquids.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I've been following a lot of the posts on this forum for awhile and when i had a question i figured i could either spend hours wasting my time or i could just drop a post on here and ask the experts.

Thanks for the speedy reply, although this may have facilitated a serious drain off of my savings account... because as it sounds from the forum, you can never have just one kel tec!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have 2 on order from Grandfather Oak. I've never seen one but as stated above I know many like them. The price was a deciding factor. You won't be risking a lot of $ to try them. You may have to wait a while though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like the looks of the Hidden Companion
IWB on the Grandfather Oak site. I looked at it and thought about buying one. My only concern was that it only has 0ne point of contact with a belt, so I was concerned how stable it would be. I would like to hear if anyone has any real world experience with this one. I do like Kydex holsters very much.

Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I dont have the Hidden Companion but I do have the Undercover Pro from Comp-Tac and it only has one point of contact with the belt and all that basically does is keep the holster from popping out too much or falling down your pants which would be embarrassing in a crisis. The holster itself stays put quite well just from having your body on one side and the belt on the other, that is just my experience though.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
gbuddyjoe said:
...i am planning on carrying this IWB...
#1 best feature of the P3AT... It fits in your pocket! It is a pocket gun.

But.... to each his own. ;)

TxCajun, who will not carry a pocket knife in his waist band. (sorry wilson) ;D

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Pocket holsters are plentiful each has its own set of characteristics.
P3AT fits nicely into pocket.
Good place for a "pocket gun"
But everyone has his/her own preference.
That's why there are so many choices.
Makes life grand to choose.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a GO pocket companion for the P-3AT - like it so much I ordered one for my PM9. For $15.00 (shipping included) it is not a big risk.

If you want thin and light Kydex is a good option.

But it also has its down side. The GO holster does print a little bit when carried in the front pocket of shorts (the area around the trigger guard is over molded), it also makes a slight noise when you draw it fast. I have modified the GO holster slightly.

If you look at the picture on the GO web site the original pocket companion has a sharp point up by the hammer area of the gun - I wanted to just cut it off - but it is molded around the gun so it helps keep it in the holster. I bent this thing over and trimmed it with a knife.

I spent over 2 hours at the range yesterday (475 rounds)

I spend part of the time trying to dedided how to carry the P-3AT. I compared 3 holsters.

I have a leather pocket holster from Pocketholsters.com ($55); a pocket companion from GO ($15) and an; IWB from Don Hume (around $25).

Short story - If that is even possible for me!

I pulled the gun from each holster 15 times and shot at a target that was 9 feet away. I had practiced with each holster at home with an unloaded gun - good thing to do - but using live ammo and actually shooting feels a lot different.

The IWB is nice - feels good strong side - but for me anyway - was hard to draw fast. The holster is very tight on the gun - which is good because the gun stays secure - but bad because it makes it hard to pull the gun out. I had a T-shirt on - covering the gun. Best way was to use two hands - one to pull the shirt and hold the holster / other to draw.

The leather pocket holster was next - feels great in my pocket - no print - draw was OK - but I had the holster come out of my pocket 2 times - once it fell on the floor (no big deal)- once it stayed on the gun (big problem) I have practiced with this holster hundreds of times at home and it never comes out of my pocket. I am thinking the added stress of using live ammo caused me to skip a step.

The Kydex holster is not quite as comfortable in the pocket (compared to leather) Kydex is like stiff plastic - it will bend a little - very little. It was by far the faster draw - and it always stayed in my pocket. To be fair I have practiced more with the GO holster -

At this point I will keep the IWB at home and carry in my front pocket using one of the two pocket holsters. I do plan to carry a PM9 IWB - so maybe after I get use to that I will want to switch to IWB for the P-3AT.

·
Registered
114 Posts
gbuddyjoe, you don't have a Undercover Pro for your .380 do you? I called Comp-tac a while ago about a holster and the only one they had for the .380 was the Centerline. I have had one for my Glock G27 and did not care for it at all. It was not stable enough for me. But the Gurkha took care of that for me! Great holster! So I would still be concerned about stability with the Hidden Companion. But, I am not speaking from experience here. It may not be an issue at all.

Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know we're talking kydex, but I recently picked up a Galco Sto 'n Go IWB for $19.99 (shipping included) from ImpactGuns. It seemed like a great price and I'm happy with it. Softer against flesh than Kydex and pretty much disposable at that price if I find I don't like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, i use the Undercover Pro for my Taurus PT140. Not a bad gun but i think i will like the lighter Kel-Tecs more . I am still hoping to get one of the PF-9s when they are available but i was looking for something to get until then... and plus, you can never have enough Kel-tecs right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.