Kydex Front Pocket or Wallet Holster recomendation

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Anyone have any good recommendations for Kydex Front Pocket or Wallet Holsters?

Thanks!

2. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL

3. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Re: Kydex Front Pocket or Wallet Holster recomenda

www.pocketholsters.com I've been using them for five plus years and love them.

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

Why I like my Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion for my P-3AT with ArmaLaser.  
    http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html  
    1] Very Light  
    2] Very Thin  
    3] Does Not Absorb Sweat  
    4] Stays In Place In Pocket  
    5] Gun Snaps In Very Positively, yet ...  
    6] Draws Easily, and ...  
    7] Holster Stays In Pocket During Draw  
    8] Will Probably Never Wear Out  
    9] Not Expensive  
    10] Needs No Maintenance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobo

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

+1 The leather is extremely high quality and very dense so it keeps its shape. It is also a zero maintenance leather. I love the fact that it is convertible. It NEVER prints. The removable leather shield on it is @ 1/4 thick so it doesn't distort and print like some other lesser quality leather pocket holsters out there. In the rear pocket, it looks like a wallet. Since I got mine, four friends have also bought one after seeing how good the quality is. All four are extremely satisfied.

Oh, BTW, I have two. One for my P3AT and one for my NAA 22mag mini revolver. I've had the P3AT holster for 18 months and the one for my NAA for almost three years.

6. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I can appreciate the thinness(is that a word?) of kydex, but the fact that it forms to your gun so exactly makes it look just like a gun in your pocket when the fabric of your pants stretches tight over it. Just my .02

But I do realize it helps keep the gun upright and adds to the comfort of carry. It just doesn't seem to conceal very well.

7. tnmule

tnmule New Member

Jan 25, 2010
  8. uncledub

uncledub Member Supporter

Feb 16, 2009
    Alabama, USA

thanks for the link.  seems to be another source for a good holster.  I keep finding out what kind of resources we have in Alabama. :)

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  10. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Thanks TX, I really like ths Stellar holsters. Now to decide if I want the extra mag or not :) To many decisions....

11. AZShooter

AZShooter New Member

Feb 15, 2010

New guy here. Little late replying to this, but found it in a search.

I'm between the grand father oak and the alabama holster. Only thing about the GFO is it looks like it would push it a little higher in the pocket instead of letting it rest all the way down in the pocket (extra leather on the bottom).

Anyone have problems with that? Or am I looking too much into it?

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

That would bother me also. I'd probably just cut off the Kydex that is lower than the barrel - straight across. Mind you now I've never actually had a Kydex holster so get some other opinions before considering cutting.

Take care...

13. AZShooter

AZShooter New Member

Feb 15, 2010
  14. sparkyy

sparkyy New Member

Apr 7, 2009

I wear shots to work. i carry one that has the side clip.. cant even tell i have it with me...

15. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

That would bother me also. I'd probably just cut off the Kydex that is lower than the barrel - straight across. Mind you now I've never actually had a Kydex holster so get some other opinions before considering cutting.

Take care...
    [/quote]
    I fashioned my own pocket holster. I'll try to get a picture of it uploaded, but for now, my final trimming included allowing the muzzle of the gun to show. I removed the material at the lower area of the holster so that the gun could sit as low as possible in my pocket.

I use the same holster for front and back pocket carry. I found that if I had extra material below the muzzle, it pushed the handle and back of the slide too high in my back pocket and it peeked out of certain back pants pockets.

Peekaboo is not a game I with to play with my concealed carry tool.

16. Klutch

Klutch New Member

Feb 13, 2010

Hey Bobo what sights are on your pistol? I spy some glowing green at the back of the holster.

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

Hey Bobo what sights are on your pistol? I spy some glowing green at the back of the holster.[/quote]
    I painted both sights green with Bright Sights (works well, very expensive). Then I decided I wanted more contrast between the front sight and the rear sight and I wanted the front sight to be more prominent than the rear.

Went to Michael's craft store (A.C. Moore, Ben Franklin, etc. would also have this). Found 2 oz. bottles of acrylic craft paint in almost any imaginable color for $.89 each. Bought two different colors (enough paint for thousands of applications) Settled on the red (it is actually almost pink). It stands out well against most background colors.

Applied a couple of coats with a toothpick. I waited until the next day so the craft paint would be completely dry, then I applied an overcoat of two coats of my wife's clear nail polish. I also overcoated the Bright Sight green while was at it.

After two years of 24/7 carry the edges of the sights that rub against the holster were beginning to needed a touch-up.

One thing I noticed is; the more the light is coming from behind (shining on the sights) they brighter they are and the more they stand out, the more the light is from the front the darker and less colorful are the sights. Also, the dimmer the light the less colorful and more black they look.

Bottom line… I find the bright colors help a lot under most conditions, and I like the painted sights much better than the black.

[​IMG]

18. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I know this is a thread jacking, but I wanted to jump in on the sites.

I painted only my front site pure white and love it. It's the first thing I see when I pull out my P3.