KY youth deer hunt

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mkamer, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Brennan and I are very excited. We will be heading to the woods this weekend for KY's youth deer hunt weekend. Hope to have a nice report for everyone on Monday.

2. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    I'm with ya, mkamer! I'm not sure who is more excited...the kids or me. I'm going to take my 9 year old son out on Saturday; my 13 year old daughter is out of town until Sunday, and we will go out as soon as she gets home. She has already called me from out of town to tell me she is excited. She outfished me in Canada this summer and she is telling everyone she will outhunt me this fall...I hope she does!

3. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    We will be hunting in Lewis County. How about you?

4. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    We will be driving from Paducah down to Hickman County. Looks like we will be on total opposite ends of the state!

Good luck to you and Brennan!

5. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I am from Vanceburg so happy hunting and hope you get one of the 20+ point monsters up there.  Go get a Chigger's footer with chilie and cheese for me. :) What area are you hunting?

6. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Well mkamer, how did it go today? My son and I saw nothing from the ground blind for the couple hours he was able to stand that. We got out and walked the edge of a couple of fields and saw a little 4 pointer; stalked him for a while until he slipped back into the woods. We had to cut out and get back to town for a soccer game, but my son thought stalking the deer was the best thing in the world. I don't know what he would have done if we had gotten close enough for a shot!

I'm taking my 13 year old daughter in the morning; hopefully there will be more to report then.

7. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    I am from Vanceburg so happy hunting and hope you get one of the 20+ point monsters up there.  Go get a Chigger's footer with chilie and cheese for me. :) What area are you hunting?[/quote]

We hunt at a friend's farm just off the Olive Hill route 59 exit off the AA highway (KY 9).  Nice plot of 700 acres!  But you must tell me what a Chigger's footer with chili and cheese is.  I'm guessing some kind of crazy chili dog which is right up my alley but I'm not familiar with Chigger's.

8. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    BlueMoon - hope you had better luck than we did. Brennan and I did not see a deer all weekend. We hunted over a winter wheat field Saturday morning and then a clover field Saturday evening. Never saw a thing but heard movement in the woods all day. So we switched on Sunday morning and set up in the woods. Didn't see anything there either. But we did hear what sounded like a buck rubbing his antlers on small branches. Not really hard rubbing but more playful. Never saw what it was but it was pretty cool and got our heart pumping.

A few others in camp with us did better. One boy got a small 6 point buck with a really weird rack and another got a small 2 year old buck with a nice little 8 point rack. Another boy took a doe on Saturday night. So 3 out of 5 boys took a deer.

Those were pretty much the only deer seen over the weekend. Warm October hunting is just tough. And a 700 acre farm obviously has lots of land and I guess Brennan just wasn't in the right place at the right time. He's not discouraged at all. He enjoyed celebrating with those that got deer and he knows his time will come. He even gets excited when he hears someone else's gun shot. I'm proud that he really understand the whole hunting experience and isn't focused just on himself getting a deer.

5 dads, 5 sons, a long weekend, good food and a few deer harvested. Even though Brennan did not get one, I'd say it was still a great weekend. :cool:

9. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Chigger's is a dairy bar in Vanceburg.  Nothing fancy just a good footer.  It is the little things you miss from home.  Uncle Al's pizza closed up a few years ago, Al retired but he is in his 80's now.  My parents always said I came home for his pizza and seeing them was second on my list.  Now when my girlfreind and I go home we get a footer or two or four but who's counting.  Now for pizza I go to a friends house for a wood fired pizza oven pizza.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YTqeufucUk4/SAC3ehyJBTI/AAAAAAAAAd4/mwfRmExDwdQ/s1600-h/P1010093.JPG

http://www.massiehouse.blogspot.com/

10. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    We will definitely check out Chiggers next time we are in. For pizza in Vanceburg we have been getting take out from Giovanni's. It's great stuff.

11. historybuff

historybuff Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Glad to hear that you guys had a good time.

I live near ft knox and see deer in my neighborhood regularly (I could simultaneously work in my office and "hunt"), however, haven't hunted in probably 20 years. The odd thing is, I don't think I have seen a buck this year so far.

12. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Well, my daughter and I went last Sunday on the last day of youth weekend and only saw one doe...didn't have a shot. She told me she wanted to go again; just so happens that muzzle loader season came in this weekend. We went today sat in a buddy ladder stand on the edge of a bean field; saw nothing. Still fun spending time with my daughter!

13. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    BlueMoon - sound like you had similar weekend as we did. And yes, it is great time with the kids. We are really looking forward to returning for gun season. My buddy has lots of trail cam pictures of a massive 10 pointer roaming the property.